Monitoring third-party performance counters RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to monitor vendor-created performance counters without requiring a non-vendor supplied management pack? In this case, I want to create a unit monitor for the VM Processor % Processor Utilization counter that is typically found on VMWare-based VMs. I can see the counter when I bring up perfmon in the OS, but I can't see it when I try to browse it while trying to create a rule. If I don't browse and just type 'VM Processor' for the name of the object to be monitored, I can't seem to view it when bringing up the performance view for one the targets for the rule. Any ideas?
    Monday, February 22, 2010 6:38 AM

Answers

All replies

• Is the performance counter you try to monitor install on the SCOM server or on the SCOM agent ?
    In the SCOM server when you use monitoring rule wizard you will see only performance counter available on the SCOM server.
    In case the performance counter is on the agent, during the wizard you can connect to the agent and then you should see the performance counter
    Monday, February 22, 2010 12:11 PM
  • On Windows Server 2008, this symptom occurs until the SP2 update to the server is applied.
    Microsoft Corporation
    Monday, February 22, 2010 5:15 PM