none
Windows Update Stuck at "Checking for updates"

Question

• I work for an IT firm in The Bahamas, and as a result, do a lot of Windows 7 reloads.  However, I have noticed that recently (within the last year) Windows 7 has a very difficult time updating after a fresh reload with SP1.  When I check for updates, it starts scanning and says "Checking for Updates", but never finds any.  It just keeps checking.  I've left it running for 48 hours without ever finding a single update.

Here's the thing, it isn't a particular computer.  As I said, I do a lot of reloads.  This happens on almost every computer after a reload of Windows 7 regardless of brand.  Sometimes I scan before activating Windows, sometimes after.  There is no antivirus installed and I've tried it with Windows Firewall both enabled and disabled.  Sometimes after scanning for a long time, it will automatically install updates without having me select any of the updates.  It still says "Checking for Updates." Other times, it just never finds or installs any updates, but it still says "Checking for Updates".  I'm not the only one who has recognized the problems, my colleagues have also experienced it.  I've also tried updating on many different networks: home, work, customers network, etc.  Same result.

I have done lots of research online to see if other people have been having this issue, but I have not found anything.  Has anybody else been experiencing this problem?  Is Microsoft having an issue with Windows update, or are they intentionally trying to discourage the use of Windows 7?  I'm not sure how it has been such a big problem for my colleagues and I in the last year but no one seems to know anything about it.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 12:40 AM

Answers

• Hi Ryan,

Sorry my poor English. I will rewrite:
    In many cases, this issue can be found on PC... with less than 4 GB RAM.
    If your PC has 6 GB RAM, please
    1) install manually KB3050265 and KB949104

Regards.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 10:24 AM
  • Hi Ryan,

Welcome to technical forum.

By this issue, please refer to the following steps to troubleshoot:

1. Disable Windows firewall and A/V software 0
    2. Reset Windows update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058 
    3. Please place PC in external network to check if you download Windows update

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi Ryan Cartwright,

I'm a Japanese living in Tokyo, Japan and have found an article in Japanese.
    "Windows Updateがはじまらない、終わらない、失敗する問題"

It says:
      this issue can be found on PCs (Windows 7 SP1) with less than 4 GB physical memory. 
      to fix it:
      1) install manually KB3050265 (< click and download) and
          install KB949104 (< refer to)   
      2) execute Windows Update

Regards.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 4:00 AM
  • The PC that I was just working on had 6GB's of RAM and still was having this issue.  However, the updates finally came through.  I'll still try this patch though with the next computer I have to reload.  Thanks.
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 1:17 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

Welcome to technical forum.

By this issue, please refer to the following steps to troubleshoot:

1. Disable Windows firewall and A/V software 0
    2. Reset Windows update: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058 
    3. Please place PC in external network to check if you download Windows update

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, February 24, 2016 9:27 AM
  • Hi Ryan,

Sorry my poor English. I will rewrite:
    In many cases, this issue can be found on PC... with less than 4 GB RAM.
    If your PC has 6 GB RAM, please
    1) install manually KB3050265 and KB949104

Regards.
    Wednesday, February 24, 2016 10:24 AM