Outlook cannot return result and show "we couldn't find what you were looking for"when search RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Please be informed that we are using Outlook 2016 (16.0.4549.1000) 32 bit. I created a outlook map my email & a generic account in Outlook so there are 2 accounts in my Outlook.

What we encounter is the result can be display if i search email in my account. but i try to search email in the generic there is no result return and show "we couldn't find what you were looking for". we confirm that the target is exist in the generic mailbox.

Check the index status that the indexing complete and the ost file has bee click in index option. May i know anything we can do except to perform rebuild index?

thx

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 3:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What's the type of this "generic account"? POP, IMAP or Exchange? If it is Exchange account, you can try start your Outlook in online mode (File > Account Settings > Double click your account) and search.

If it works well in online mode, then it is suggetsed to recreate your OST file.

Besides, please make sure you select Current Mailbox or All Mailboxes when searching. It is also suggested to use Advanced Find (Ctrl + Shift + F) and see if you can get the results.

In addition, there are also some other suggestions for you:

1. Please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.
    2. Toggling the indexing on and off via File > Options > Search > Indexing Options.
    3. There could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue, so it is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.
    4. If above don't work, then you may need to rebuild your indexing.

You can refer to this article for more information.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 8:09 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:57 AM
  • Hi,

Here I will provide a brief summary of this post for your information. This will make answer searching in the forum easier!

Request/Expectation:

Outlook cannot return result and show "we couldn't find what you were looking for"when search

Solution Summary:

If it is Exchange account, you can try start your Outlook in online mode (File > Account Settings > Double click your account) and search.

If it works well in online mode, then it is suggetsed to recreate your OST file.

Besides, please make sure you select Current Mailbox or All Mailboxes when searching. It is also suggested to use Advanced Find (Ctrl + Shift + F) and see if you can get the results.

In addition, there are also some other suggestions for you:

1. Please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.
    2. Toggling the indexing on and off via File > Options > Search > Indexing Options.
    3. There could be some add-ins in your Outlook client that cause this issue, so it is suggested to start your Outlook in safe mode (Press Win + R, type “outlook /safe”, press Enter.) and see if the issue continues.
    4. If above don't work, then you may need to rebuild your indexing.

You can refer to this article for more information.

Reference Links:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/fix-search-issues-by-rebuildling-your-instant-search-catalog-213a2728-0ef4-427a-9bb2-aed329a59b17

https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/troubleshooting-outlook-search-issues-2556b11f-f4d8-46be-b0a7-de33a3f4f066

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 6:53 AM