CANNOT INSTALL SOFTWARE - ERROR 1719 on Vista Home Premiem RRS feed

• Question

• I have had a 7 month long, nightmarish history with error 1719 on my new vaio laptop running vista home premium.

Here is the exact error wording when i try to install software:

Error 1719.Windows Installer service could not be accessed. Contact your support

personnel to verify that it is properly registered and enabled.

• I cannot install ANY software.
    • I cannot find any straightforward answers.
    • I am running 32bit vista home premium.
    • I have tried to Re-register Windows Installer Components as suggest in another thread but...

The command prompt returns this message:

The system cannot find the path specified

This leads me to think that I don't even have Windows Installer on my system anymore.

can YOU help me????

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 10:01 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Let’s try the following methods to troubleshoot the issue:

Method 1 Verify the DCOM Permissions

========================

1.    Log on an account with administrator privileges.

2.    Click Start, type dcomcnfg, and then press Enter.

3.    Expand Component Services and Computers, right click My Computer and select Properties.

4.    On the Default properties tab:

5.    In the Default Authentication Level list, click Connect.

6.    In the Default Impersonation Level list, click Identify, and then click OK.

Method 2 Give Full Control Permission to the SYSTEM Account

=======================================

1.    Start Windows Explorer, right-click the computer’s root hard drive, and then click Properties.

2.    Click the Security tab, and then click Edit.

3.    In the Group or user names box, click the SYSTEM account.

4.    Under Allow, make sure the Full Control checkbox is checked , and then click OK.

Method 3 Verify the Registry Permissions

==========================

1.    Click Start, type Regedt32 and then press Enter.

2.    Select HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, on the Edit menu, click Permissions.

3.    Verify that the SYSTEM account has been added and that it has Full control. If it does not, add the SYSTEM account with Full control.

4.    Please use the same method to give Full control permission to the following registry keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

HKEY_USERS

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG

Method 4 Verify the Windows Installer service properties

===================================

1.    Open the Service control panel by searching for services.msc on the Start Menu.

2.    Right-click on Windows Installer and then select Properties.

3.    Verify that the service is set to Manual Startup type and that the path to the executable is c:\Windows\system32\msiexec /V. (I am assuming C is your system drive)

4.    Verify that the service is set to Log on as the Local System account on the Log On tab.

Method 5 Use System Restore to undo changes to the system

=======================================

Windows Vista no longer supports the MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER and MSIEXEC /REGSERVER commands. Windows Resource Protection now protects the MSI registration and changes cannot be made unless a component is using the Trusted Installer.

Note: You should only perform a System Restore as a last resort. If all other steps fail, using System Restore may be able to restore Windows Installer functionality.

To perform a System Restore, please refer to the following steps:

1.    Before you start, please close all open files and close all open programs.

2.    Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools and click System Restore.

3.    Select "Choose a different restore point" and click Next.

4.    From the restore points available, select an appropriate restore point when your system was working correctly and click "Next".

5.    Click Finish and System Restore will restart the computer to apply these changes.

After restarting, check whether your system functions correctly now. If not, you can undo your last restoration or select another restore point in the System Restore user interface.

Note: System Restore affects Windows system files, programs, and registry settings. It also can make changes to scripts, batch files, and other types of executable files on your computer. It does not affect personal files, such as e mail, documents, or photos, so it cannot help you restore a deleted file.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

• Unmarked as answer by velvetpie Thursday, January 15, 2009 9:06 PM
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 3:28 AM
  • I tried Methods 1-3 and everything was already correct.

Regarding Method 4:

I do not have Windows Installer listed in my Service control panel.

What now?

Thursday, November 13, 2008 8:09 PM