none
Office 2013 with SA and AppV 5 / MDOP RRS feed

• Question

• I have read the Supported scenarios for deploying Microsoft Office as a sequenced App-V Package article and it has left me a little uneasy....

Will those of us with volume licenses & SA for Office 2013, along with MDOP for our desktop machines, be able to deploy Office 2013 via App-V at all?  It would be a pretty big slap in the face to position ourselves to take advantage of App-V, and to shell out $$$$ for volume licenses to be told we can't do it....if my fears are ill-founded, can you please point me to some form of reassurance that, come this Spring, I can roll Office 2013 via App-V and not have to make a Citrix investment to deliver it to my desktops?

Thursday, November 29, 2012 6:10 AM

Answers

• Office 2013 will only be available under App-V using the Click-To-Run Office Deployment Tool. This means that only Office 365 versions will be available as App-V packages. Paul was correct in his original question.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:40 PM

All replies

• I don't understand what gives you the impression that Office 2013 won't be able to be delivered as an App-V package, if you've bought Office and/or Windows under SA?

See info here on customizing Office 2013 as an App-V package: Customization overview for Click-to-Run. Microsoft will only provide support for Office 2013 as an App-V package when that package is created using the Office Deployment Tool. This just generates the package - you'll still need access to the App-V client to deliver it.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:23 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:38 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Vernon Smit Friday, October 18, 2013 10:53 AM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:13 AM
  • Aaron, thanks for the reply.  The article you link to is on customizing click-to-run deployments of Office 365 (subscription-based) and does not address traditional volume-licensed Office at all. 

What gives me concern about Microsoft supporting App-V deployments of volume-licensed Office 2013 is, in part, this little table from the article I linked to in my original post:

Supported Deployments of the Office 2013 .APPV Package

If Office 2013 is deployed as an App-V package, only specific types of deployments are supported due to the available licensing.

Office Version

App-V Version

Supported Licensing

Supported Deployments

Unsupported Deployments

Office 2013

N/A

N/A

N/A

Office Subscription

1. Desktop

2. Personal VDI

1. RDSH

2. Pooled VDI

3. Windows ToGo

Notice the "Supported Licensing" is Office Subscription, not Volume License.  Deployment on RDSH is also unsupported which is a step back from Office 2010.

Hopefully you can see my concern here -- I'm sure that when the Office Deployment Tool is finally released in the spring I will be able to sequence Office 2013 and deliver it via the App-V client to desktops and personal VDI....but it looks to me from all I have seen that it will not be allowed or supported under my current license type.

Any other guidance on this?

Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:20 AM
  • These Office 2013 App-V Preview packages require activation via a KMS server: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30423, so I suspect that it is possible. 

The reason the table above lists RDSH etc in Unsupported Deployments is because it's referring to the Office 365 subscription. Which isn't supported under those configurations for Office 2010 either. I suspect that the article is just badly worded and that the volume license editions will be supported.

I'll see what I can do about getting an answer.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:34 AM
  • Any News on that? Facing the same question.
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:07 PM
  • Office 2013 will only be available under App-V using the Click-To-Run Office Deployment Tool. This means that only Office 365 versions will be available as App-V packages. Paul was correct in his original question.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Ouch!  That is going to annoy a lot of people.  So to confirm what you have been told there will be no supported method to sequence Office 2013 apps which are supplied under VL?  Bit of a step backwards when we want to deploy Project/Visio 2013 in a user centric way.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:45 PM
  • Hello,

Confirmed.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:04 PM
  • Oh dear.  Can you even get Visio and Project as click to run versions from Office 365?
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:12 AM
  • Hello,

See these pages;

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project/project-management-software-as-a-service-project-pro-for-office-365-FX103797691.aspx

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/visio/visio-pro-for-office-365-online-diagram-software-FX103791920.aspx

I would contact an official Microsoft representative to identify which the best licensing option for your specific needs though.

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, April 11, 2013 8:26 AM
  • We currently use app v 4.6 with office 2010 virtualized for our RDS servers, I assume based on this we can't use a virtualized version of 2013 with app-v 5 on our RDS boxes?

If so very disappointing.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Office 365 is the only way to purchase per-user licenses of Office products. All other licensing schemes are per-device, so it becomes difficult to deliver VL Office apps via AppV and adhere to the license by delivering those apps per-user.

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 6:25 AM
  • Hi,

Is this really the way to go !!!!!!

What about the ASP licenses and hosting providers that pay allllllot of money
    to offer customers Office for the rent of a SPLA license.

We are currently using APP-V 4.6 and Office 2010 and would really like to offer
    our customers an upgrade because of the feature improvements in app-V 5
    regarding communication between physical software and virtual software.

We tried out the Office 2013 Preview and have been
    looking patiently forward to the official release but seems that will never
    be.......

We have sequenced Office 2010 in App-V 5 and that
    works with a lot of tweaking and the downsides are for example if users move from
    App-V 4.6 to V5 they have to setup the mail profiles again but that is
    something we just have to deal with.

We would much more like to take it all the way to Office 2013 but what i seem
    to be reading on the internet is that MS basically say F***k U by saying
    nothing or with some political answers.

Can someone please tell me where MS is heading and if
    they will open up some doors in the near future.

Best Regards,
    Valdi Hafdal

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:42 PM
  • I am not really sure if one MUST use Office 365 in order to deliver via App-V.  I have been talking with our account rep, who assures me this is not the case.  Believe me, I do not want to stand in front of my CIO justifying an additional expense/process to perform the same functions as we do today.

One cannot use APP-V 5.0 Sequencer to virtualize the application(s), but one can download the OfficeDeploymentTool.  This tool utilizes the ClickToRun technology (which as I understand it is the virtual app) and enables IT shops to download Office applications, configure the applications, and then package the application for APP-V deployment.  Office will activate on Microsoft's licensing servers.  The following page depicts the product IDs availblle for download:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2842297?wa=wsignin1.0

In case you don't have an signin account:

The following Microsoft Office 365 product IDs are supported by the Office Deployment Tool for Click-to-Run in Office 365 deployments:
    • O365ProPlusRetail
    • VisioProRetail
    • ProjectProRetail
    • SPDRetail (SharePoint Designer)
    For more information about these product IDs, go to the following Microsoft TechNet website:
    Reference for Click-to-Run configuration.xml file: Product element attributes and values
          (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219426.aspx#BKMK_ProductElement)   

In addition to these product IDs, the following non-Office 365 product IDs are supported by this tool:
    • AccessRetail
    • ExcelRetail
    • HomeBusinessRetail
    • HomeStudentRetail
    • InfoPathRetail
    • LyncRetail
    • ProfessionalRetail
    • O365HomePremRetail
    • O365SmallBusPremRetail
    • OneNoteRetail
    • OutlookRetail
    • PowerPointRetail
    • ProjectStdRetail
    • PublisherRetail
    • VisioStdRetail
    • WordRetail

You can find the tool here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30344

Information on the configuration.xml file is here:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj219426.aspx

An overview on Click-to-Run is located at this page: http://technet.microsoft.com/library/jj219427%28office.15%29.aspx#Products

This site helped explain things with a bit more clarity: http://winsupersite.com/office-2013/click-run-and-custom-installs-office-2013

My goal is to deploy Visio 2013 and Project 2013 from a user centric standpoint via App-V and SCCM 2012 SP1.  I have spent most of yesterday talking with MS representatives who tell me this is possible.  I am concerned that I do not see a product ID for ProjectPro and VisioPro, but I will keep you all aprised of what I find out. 

Aaron, if you see anything that needs correcting, I would apprecitate your feedback!

JustinS

Edit:  There is no VL option for this tool
    • Edited by Jsimoni Wednesday, June 12, 2013 8:57 PM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2013 3:04 PM
  • hello ..sir.

will u please inform clearly how to sequence Microsoft office 2013 in appv 5.0 .....i tried alot it was saying setup bootstrap error...by using virtuvalization kit but it is  was unable to install why ?????

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 11:42 AM
  • hello ..sir.

will u please inform clearly how to sequence Microsoft office 2013 in appv 5.0 .....i tried alot it was saying setup bootstrap error...by using virtuvalization kit but it is  was unable to install why ?????

What is being said in the above comments is that it is not possible to sequence Office 2013 for App-V, if you want an App-V package, you have to purchase an Office 365 subscription.
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 3:26 PM
  • Monday, December 2, 2013 6:07 PM