Magnetic Window Edges RRS feed

• Question

• Anyone who is familiar with the Gnome Desktop on Ubuntu Linux should have noticed a certain characteristic about the windows. When a window is moved sufficiently close to another window, to any task-bar, or to the edge of the screen, the edge of the active window snaps to the other object and gives the slightest bit of resistance when pulled away. It is as if the windows are slightly "magnetic." This is very helpful when aligning windows and organizing workspaces. The Windows program called Steam behaves the same way, as do the Windows 7 desktop gadgets. This is how I would like all windows to behave in future Microsoft Windows releases, and I figured this might be a good way to mention it to Microsoft.

I am not a software developer, so I cannot program this functionality into Aero, or I most definitely would try. It shouldn't be that difficult though for an experienced programmer. Just thought I'd open this up for discussion.

Thursday, July 29, 2010 5:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our products. We are striving to capture any and all product feedback so as to ensure that we are continuously developing Microsoft products to meet our customers' needs. This is exactly why feedback such as yours is always valued. And I hope your concern can be addressed with a new service pack or a new Windows version in the near feature.

Please submit your suggestion here, it’s very appreciated! http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195 

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:56 AM
    Monday, August 2, 2010 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our products. We are striving to capture any and all product feedback so as to ensure that we are continuously developing Microsoft products to meet our customers' needs. This is exactly why feedback such as yours is always valued. And I hope your concern can be addressed with a new service pack or a new Windows version in the near feature.

Please submit your suggestion here, it’s very appreciated! http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195 

Best Regards,

Miya Yao

• Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Thursday, August 12, 2010 1:56 AM
    Monday, August 2, 2010 7:45 AM
  • Thank you so much. I've been wanting to mention this to somebody for months, and this is exactly what I have been looking for.

Hopefully my requests will be heard, and a slightly more efficient desktop will be the result.

Monday, August 2, 2010 4:18 PM
  • This is on a similar note to the magnetic edge.  I turned on a feature of windows 7 that causes my cursor to pause at the edge of an active window which then makes me either wait for a brief pause before the cursor will move out of the window or I have to back away from the edge and try a second time.  I find this frustrating at times and would like to turn the feature off, however, I can not remember the path to this feature (too many damn features to play with and no road map to get to them all).  Can you assist me in finding the feature so I can turn it off?  I'll probably never be able to find this forum again or your answer if there is one, but what the heck, I'll give it a try.

Respectfully,

one irritated windows 7 user.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:07 AM