.wsp file deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to deploy .wsp in my prod system, but when I am trying to deploy it on a webapplication with below command:-

stsadm -o deploysolution <wsp file name.wsp> -webapplication <url> -force -allowgacdeployment

it is showing error "This solution contains no resources scoped for a Web application and cannot be d
    eployed to a particular Web application."

pls suggest.

tks

vidhu

Monday, February 4, 2013 11:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

What is scope of your solution? open feature.xml file from wsp package (change the extension from .wsp to .cab. Then open feature.xml and see the scope parameter. After change the extension from .cab to .wsp).

If your scope is "site" then you should be able to see the feature in site collection feature section. If scope is "web" then you will see this feature in "manage site feature".

Let us know your result

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

• Marked as answer by vidhu281 Tuesday, February 5, 2013 6:16 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 12:10 PM
  • Your solution will be found in Manage Farm Solution section in Central Admin

Now if you want to activate certain features which were part of the installed solution, then it all depends upon the scope of feature, if you have a feature with scope SITE then you will be able to find the feature in Site Collection Features link under the Site Collection Administration section (you need to be on top/root site and then go to Site Settings page->Site Collection Administration-> Site Collection Features)

If the scope of feature is web then you can find it under manage site features....so it all depends upon the scope of the feature

hope that helps

Mark this post as answer if this resolves your issue.

Everything about SQL Server | Experience inside SQL Server -Mohammad Nizamuddin

Monday, February 4, 2013 5:09 PM

All replies

• ok that means this wsp will be deployed globally, in that case wont specify the web application URL

I will suggest you to use PowerShell script:-

Add-SPSolution "wsp path\wspname.wsp" 

Install-SPSolution -Identity wspname.wsp -GACDeployment -Force

Monday, February 4, 2013 11:16 AM
  • This these following links :

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en/sharepointadminprevious/thread/3eca2d21-8da9-4695-94ae-9d19213cc4f8

http://www.sharepointdiary.com/2012/05/error-this-solution-contains-no.html

You will surely get your answer here.

Thanks, Ali Yasir http://www.sharepointstack.blogspot.in/

Monday, February 4, 2013 11:25 AM
  • Hi Nizamuddin,

tks for reply.

I have tried this, and deployed the solution sucessfully.

But after that I am not able to find that solution in my site collection feature where I have to activate it.

kindly suggest.

tks

Vidh.

• Edited by vidhu281 Monday, February 4, 2013 11:44 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2013 11:44 AM
  • Hi Ali,

tks for reply.

I have tried this, and deployed the solution sucessfully.

But after that I am not able to find that solution in my site collection feature where I have to activate it.

kindly suggest.

tks

Vidh.

Monday, February 4, 2013 11:45 AM
  • Hi,

What is scope of your solution? open feature.xml file from wsp package (change the extension from .wsp to .cab. Then open feature.xml and see the scope parameter. After change the extension from .cab to .wsp).

If your scope is "site" then you should be able to see the feature in site collection feature section. If scope is "web" then you will see this feature in "manage site feature".

Let us know your result

Hemendra: "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Whenever you see a reply and if you think is helpful, click "Alternate TextVote As Helpful"! And whenever you see a reply being an answer to the question of the thread, click "Alternate TextMark As Answer

Monday, February 4, 2013 12:10 PM
  • Your solution will be found in Manage Farm Solution section in Central Admin

Now if you want to activate certain features which were part of the installed solution, then it all depends upon the scope of feature, if you have a feature with scope SITE then you will be able to find the feature in Site Collection Features link under the Site Collection Administration section (you need to be on top/root site and then go to Site Settings page->Site Collection Administration-> Site Collection Features)

If the scope of feature is web then you can find it under manage site features....so it all depends upon the scope of the feature

hope that helps

Monday, February 4, 2013 5:09 PM