none
BGinfo windows 10 32/64 RRS feed

• Question

• I noticed on a web site that bginfo has two versions .. bginfo64 and bginfo.. I have both 32bit and 64bit workstations in my Windows 10 environment. Can bginfo64 work on 32bit? or will I have to specify in script which version to run?

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 12:38 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Is not recommended, if even possible to run 64bit application in a 32bit environment.

You can do it the other way around, so there is no problem running 32bit BGinfo on all your workstations. It works just fine.

If you want use both versions, then yes. You will have to use a way to differ between them, depending on the OS.

Best Regards,

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Systems Administrator

Help the forum: Monitor(alert) your threads and vote helpful replies or mark them as answer, if it helps solving your problem.

• Marked as answer by fireball1800 Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:10 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 4:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is not recommended, if even possible to run 64bit application in a 32bit environment.

You can do it the other way around, so there is no problem running 32bit BGinfo on all your workstations. It works just fine.

If you want use both versions, then yes. You will have to use a way to differ between them, depending on the OS.

Best Regards,

Jesper Vindum, Denmark

Systems Administrator

Help the forum: Monitor(alert) your threads and vote helpful replies or mark them as answer, if it helps solving your problem.

• Marked as answer by fireball1800 Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:10 PM
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 4:59 PM
  • Use the 32 bit Version. It will work on both 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems.

The reason for providing both is probably to support Windows PE which needs the correct Version.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 8:34 AM
  • For most of the tools we embed the 64 bit version into the 32 bit binary (which is why the 32 bit version is often substantially bigger than the 64 bit variant when you would normally expect the opposite).  When the 32 bit version runs it extracts and launches the 64 bit version silently. The idea is to make these as seamless as possible to rollout across your enterprise.

Some of the older tools (including BGINFO) don't yet include this functionality. There are items on our backlog to resolve this but we are not there yet.

As Jesper has correctly stated above. It is not possible to run a 64 bit executable on a 32 bit platform. It IS possible to run 32 bit versions on 64 bit platforms providing that the tool does not include a device driver. I believe that all the tools that include drivers do support the embedded x64 model described above.  In addition although 32 bit tools should launch there may be architectural issues that prevent them from working correctly or fully (a 32 bit executable cannot load a 64 bit DLL for example). In the case of BGINFO though I think you should be fine but please contact me at syssite@microsoft.com if you experience any issues.

MarkC (MSFT)

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 8:54 AM