none
issue with opening excel from temporary internet location

Question

• Hi

I have a weird issue with our users on server 2012 which we use as a citrix server.

when users try to open an excel file from the temporary internet location E::\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\ie\.. or E::\Users\user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\content.outlook.

then excel pops up with file is corrupted, if i copy the file from this location to the desktop/documents etc. then it opens fine, i have tested with new users and its the same issue. i tested with my account and it works fine, fyi dont mention unticking "protected locations" in the excel settings as this is not an option.

after checking alot of options including the DCOM section, it looks like it could be because the profiles for users are getting created on the E drive not the C drive (where my account is) i have tried to make a test user a local admin on the server and same issue. 

please let me know if you have any ideas.

thank you

Mahesh

Friday, May 11, 2018 8:57 PM

Answers

• This is now resolved.

we found the problem was a group policy that enabled the auditing policy to log success failure for object access.

after removing this policy and the setting went to not configured we were then able to open Excel documents,

hope this helps others.

thank you.

Mahesh

• Marked as answer by mvaghji Friday, July 6, 2018 9:30 AM
    Friday, July 6, 2018 9:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Did these files locate in other computers? Could you please drop me a screenshot?

Please check users profile default location of the PC with the following registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

You may follow this thread,

How to Change User Profile Default Location in Windows 7

https://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-change-user-profile-default-location-in-windows-7

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Please also check the event viewer for more error message so that we could find more clue.

Hope this helps. If you have any questions and concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, May 14, 2018 7:04 AM
  • Hi

Michael, the profile is in the correct place (all user profiles are stored in the E drive)

this is the error in the event log

Thank you

Mahesh

• Edited by mvaghji Tuesday, May 15, 2018 11:43 AM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 11:41 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Try the following steps as below exhibit to see if it could be of help.

1. Open Excel.

2. Click on File > Options.

3. Select Trust Center > Trust center settings.

4. Select Protected view.

5. Uncheck all the options under Protected View > OK.

6. Restart Excel and try to open Excel documents.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, May 17, 2018 9:56 AM
  • Hi Michael

I am unable to tick these settings as its locked down by GPO and we wouldn't want these disabled anyway.

thank you.

Mahesh

• Edited by mvaghji Friday, May 18, 2018 1:19 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2018 1:18 PM
  • Hi

Any other ideas regarding this?

Thank you.

Mahesh

Saturday, May 26, 2018 10:19 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my delay.

I'd still confirm with you three points about this issue so that we can narrow this issue.

1. Which your account was used to open the Excel file and worked fine?

2. Can common file such as txt file open and work fine on this server 2012?

3. In addition, due to citrix server is third party products, we'll need exclude this influence in the issue.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question and concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Monday, May 28, 2018 3:01 AM
  • Hi Michael

The user account that works fine is mine however the user profile is on the C drive. to verify that this might be the issue I got a new account that hadn't logged into the server and made it a domain admin and logged into the server the user profile got created on the E Drive as per the policy on the server and it failed.

it seems powerpoint and word seems to work fine its only seems to be Excel in that specific location - if you take it to another location outside temporary internet files, it works fine.

at the moment there is no other 2012 server I can check.

Thank you.

Wednesday, May 30, 2018 11:58 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you very much for your detailed information.

It seems to be more related to Excel, you can also post a thread in Excel Forum and duplicate this link with our troubleshooting.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=excel

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question and concern, please feel free to let me know. 

Best regards,

Michael

Thursday, May 31, 2018 3:44 AM
  • Hi

I have raised this on the excel forum however

what I have found is that is I have the profiles on the C drive it opens up fine from the temporary location however if the profile is on the E drive it comes up with the corrupted error.

I change the location of the profiles that get created HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList top E:\profile\users

every folder gets created fine.

doesn't this mean its something to do with windows.

Thank you.

Monday, June 18, 2018 4:55 PM
  • This is now resolved.

we found the problem was a group policy that enabled the auditing policy to log success failure for object access.

after removing this policy and the setting went to not configured we were then able to open Excel documents,

hope this helps others.

thank you.

Mahesh

• Marked as answer by mvaghji Friday, July 6, 2018 9:30 AM
    Friday, July 6, 2018 9:30 AM