none
DPM 2012 and Remote BLOB Storage in SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We are upgrading our SharePoint to 2010, in line with this we are also wanting to take advantage of RBS.  Our store is EMC Centera and although I have found a provider supplied by Microsoft and EMC to allow this functionality I am a bit apprehensive on the backup side.

We currently have DocAve however we are mostly a Microsoft shop and already have various System Centre products and with this now being licensed as one suite we will automatically get DPM 2012.  Can DPM 2012 be used to recover BLOB storage when using SQL RBS and the EMC\Microsoft provider, or will we need to stick with DocAve?

Any links you could provide gretefully received

Thanks

• Moved by Larry Yin Wednesday, March 28, 2012 10:29 PM (From:DPM 2012 Beta - Locked)
    Monday, February 6, 2012 3:37 PM

Answers

• Hi

At this point we can only state that this scenario is unsupported and untested. We will have concrete answers only when we really start designing for this scenario. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks

Roopesh

Thanks Roopesh [This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.] [P.S. If the post answers your question or guides you about what you're looking for, please mark it as answered.]

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There will be no support for third party RBS providers, only File stream which is SQL implementation of RBS is supported.

In DPM 2012, we can consistently backup and restore a "local file stream" implementation. We currently do not support "remote File stream" implementation.

Supported:
    MS SQL server with "local" file stream provider for SP content DB

Unsupported:
    a) All 3rd party RBS providers.
    b) MS SQL server with "remote" file stream provider for SP content DB

Hope this helps.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, February 6, 2012 9:55 PM
  • Hi thanks for the reply, I bit of a further lead on question to this.  

If our Centera provided all the necessary backups of the BLOB store, and we used DPM to backup the SQL Databases which contain the references to this store, then is it consistent that when we restord a content DB the references would be valid and the documents could be read?

I am basically trying to understand if DPM can be used instead of DocAve and maintain the same level of redundancy.

I understand if you are unable to comment.

Thanks

• Edited by Thomas Rhea Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:22 AM
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 10:17 AM
  • Hi,

I will need to research your question. Stay tuned...

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 3:41 PM
  • Great stuff I eagerly await your reply.

Thanks

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 3:34 PM
  • Mike,

I await your reply as well.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Thursday, February 9, 2012 5:14 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I need to get our official support stance from the DPM product group on that configuration as that is untested territory.

Thursday, February 9, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Hi

At this point we can only state that this scenario is unsupported and untested. We will have concrete answers only when we really start designing for this scenario. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks

Roopesh

Thanks Roopesh [This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.] [P.S. If the post answers your question or guides you about what you're looking for, please mark it as answered.]

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:55 AM
  • Hi - in relation to this where can we keep upto date with any developments with this?
    Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Hi,

I realise this is a late addition to this forum, but we have also just finished implementing DPM 2012 at a client's site with SharePoint 2010 and a 3rd-party RBS provider (Stepwise) and I thought I'd detail some of our experiences.

Although DPM 2012 doesn't have an official plug-in for SharePoint + Remote Blob Storage, I don't really believe it to be too much of an issue. Because DPM has incremental and full express backups, I couldn't think of a situation that would get you into trouble if you just used DPM 2012 instead of another backup provider that supports "full-fidelity" backups that were specifically designed for Remote Blob Storage.

If you set up your storage protection in the standard way and ensured you backed up your SQL Server content databases and your Remote Blob Storage filesystems, that would do the job just fine. I've blogged about our experiences setting up DPM 2012 for SharePoint + Remote Blob Storage backups and included some additional scenarios on when you may need to restore data based on what you may have "lost".

HTH.

Sunday, June 10, 2012 12:35 PM
  • Hi Gavin - Thanks for that I will read with interest.  I know the post has been closed but I am keen to read about other peoples experiences.#

Thanks

Tom

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:01 PM