none
Updating File Associations

Question

• With the ever increasing prevalence of Ransomeware, one of the best practice advice was to ensure that all file types have their extensions shown, such that .js files are more noticeable, and secondly to ensure the default file association is notepad.exe for example.

I've sorted the visible file extensions out, however, I'm having great difficult with the default file type.  The common method is to configure under User Settings | Preferences | Control Panel Settings | Folder Options and create a new entry using Open With, enter the appropriate details, in our case js for extension, browse to notepad location (c:\windows\system32\notepad.exe) and set as default.

However, this does not work.  There are a few similar posts with no solution that I've found so far, and seems to be that if you've already set an association, then it only gives the option to Open With, it doesn't change the association so that double clicking for example, opens correctly in notepad.

Anybody got a workaround for this issue?

Regards

Ian

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 4:06 PM

Answers

• > under User Settings | Preferences | Control Panel Settings | Folder
    > Options and create a new entry using Open With, enter the appropriate

According to your screenshot, you are using W8...10. Using this setting
    starting with W8 is ONLY possible for extensions that do NOT already
    have a default application to open with. The default ACLs on the
    existing extensions do not grant write access for SYSTEM...

Monday, September 12, 2016 3:19 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

What setting is your GPP for the Open with set as? Update, Create, Replace?

If you were using create, please try to change the settings to replace / update instead of create. Update will create the a new Open With association if it does not exist, and if a file name extension in the Open With item exists within the user's profile, then the new association is not created.

Configure an Open With Item

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732272%28v=ws.11%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 8, 2016 8:20 AM
  • I've tried both Update and Replace.

However, my point being that an Open With association is created (because I already have an association), but I need to default the file to open with notepad.  For example, when I right click a .js file at the moment, with the group policy applied, and select Open With I get the option for WordPad and Notepad.  However, the default is currently set for wordpad, see screenshot

I want to change the above file type association to a different program.

Regards

Ian

Thursday, September 8, 2016 8:44 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Have you tried running gpupdate after changing to replace action?

Please also run RSOP/GPRESULT to check whether the gpo settings are successfully applied to clients.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 9, 2016 8:43 AM
  • Yep, I've double checked the group policy is being applied successfully.  It just appears there isn't a way round this issue, except I have read you can create an xml file of associations using DISM and use a group policy to apply.  However, if I edit all default associations out of the xml file except for the one I want, if I apply via group policy, does it effectively overwrite all associations in existence or just the one in the xml file.  If just the one in the xml file, then that may work.

Ian

Friday, September 9, 2016 9:46 AM
  • Hi,

I have not tried that, regarding the sentence "If just the one in the xml file, then that may work", have you tested it on your side?

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Monday, September 12, 2016 9:27 AM
  • > under User Settings | Preferences | Control Panel Settings | Folder
    > Options and create a new entry using Open With, enter the appropriate

According to your screenshot, you are using W8...10. Using this setting
    starting with W8 is ONLY possible for extensions that do NOT already
    have a default application to open with. The default ACLs on the
    existing extensions do not grant write access for SYSTEM...

Monday, September 12, 2016 3:19 PM