none
What is the proper procedure to delete a project? RRS feed

• Question

• Im currently using this method to delete a project: Access project subsite, site settings, delete site

Deleting the site doesnt seem to also delete the project schedule or details. Even after deleting the project site, the project is still displayed on Project Center on the PWA.

Why is deleting the project site not deleting it from project center as well? What am I doing wrong?

edit: Also, changing the project title and/or URL of a subsite does not update the Project Center page with this information. How is one supposed to properly change the title or URL to make project center reflect the changes?

• Edited by thumpersd Friday, March 27, 2015 9:56 PM
    Friday, March 27, 2015 9:51 PM

Answers

• If you've updated the URL of the site in SharePoint, there's no function in SharePoint to automatically update the site reference table in Project.

Project uses this table to maintain pointers to the project site. So, if you update the url outside of Project, you also need to update the reference table in Project. The delete functionality uses the reference table.

The maintenance is done using PWA Settings, Operational Operational Policies, Connected SharePoint sites. I normally recommend to my clients that they don't administer the team sites in SharePoint, so that administration effort is reduced.

Hope this helps.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | Blog | Twitter | YouTube Channel

• Marked as answer by thumpersd Monday, March 30, 2015 5:49 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 6:01 AM

All replies

• I've figured out how to  delete a project via PWA settings BUT still need the below question answered:

Changing the project title and/or URL of a subsite does not update the Project Center page with this information. How is one supposed to properly change the title or URL to make project center reflect the changes?

Can somebody tell me why the project site and the project arent linked? For example, if I delete a project, the project site still exists and I have to manually delete that too. This makes it a two step process. Why did MS do this?

Friday, March 27, 2015 10:30 PM
  • The prescribed method is to use Delete Enterprise Objects in PWA Settings. There, you can select the project and whether or not to delete the related team site. You can also choose to delete only the published version and leave the draft intact. Hope this helps.

Friday, March 27, 2015 11:02 PM
  • Thanks for the response. Selecting the "Delete the connected SharePoint sites" option deletes the project site IF the project site URL was not changed.

When the project site Title or URL is changed, why doesnt PWA make the changes on Project Center to reflect this? Sharepoint always did a good job of updating links and titles whenever you changed it in a subsite.

This seems to be a major bug unless there it serves a purpose, which I cant think of one.

Friday, March 27, 2015 11:09 PM
  • If you've updated the URL of the site in SharePoint, there's no function in SharePoint to automatically update the site reference table in Project.

Project uses this table to maintain pointers to the project site. So, if you update the url outside of Project, you also need to update the reference table in Project. The delete functionality uses the reference table.

The maintenance is done using PWA Settings, Operational Operational Policies, Connected SharePoint sites. I normally recommend to my clients that they don't administer the team sites in SharePoint, so that administration effort is reduced.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by thumpersd Monday, March 30, 2015 5:49 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 6:01 AM
  • Great explanation. Thanks.

It seems, however, that you cannot change the project name in that reference table. You can only change the URL. How is one supposed to change the project name then?

• Edited by thumpersd Monday, March 30, 2015 6:06 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 5:49 PM
  • thumpersd,

Here is an article that discusses the proper way to rename the project and then project site. In your case yu are working backwards having renamed project site first. You need to make sure that the project is renamed as well. 

http://www.mpug.com/articles/back-to-basics-renaming-a-project-correctly-in-project-server/

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Monday, March 30, 2015 9:04 PM
  • You can also delete a project from within MSProject.  Not only does it delete the project and the sharepoint site, it also removes the project from the Active Cache.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 5:25 AM