none
Move the DPM server to a different computer with same settings RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows 2012 R2 box with DPM 2012 R2 (version 4.2.1594.0) and 5 LUNs from the storage presented to that server for short term backup. I have agents and protection groups configured. It is decided to migrate DPM with same settings to new server (new hardware) but we need to preserve all settings and configuration.

I will follow this article: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757865(v=sc.12).aspx#BKMK_Same but I have a question about moving the LUNs from the old server to the new one, when should I do this? Before installing DPM on new server or after? If after installing DPM, should I add it to the console then restore the database? What about the PowerShell command MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1?

Appreciate it if you can clear storage migration step to me

Thursday, September 21, 2017 7:29 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I did it with DPM2012SP1 a couple of times (DPM2012SP1 had an integrated DB!!! <-> DPM2012R2)

First we installed DPM (make sure it is exactly the same Version and you use the same hostname!!)
    Then we imported the Disks (These are dynamic disks so you have to Import them within Windows first)
    When using big disks the Import of the volumes can take several hours!

Then we restored the database.

Make sure that you use the same Version of SQL!

You do not Need MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 in this case. that is when you would like to move your DPM Storage to a different SAN storage for example.

Hope it helps

/bkpfast

My postings are provided &quot;AS IS&quot; with no warranties and confer no rights

• Marked as answer by AhmadJY Monday, September 25, 2017 11:21 AM
    Friday, September 22, 2017 9:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I did it with DPM2012SP1 a couple of times (DPM2012SP1 had an integrated DB!!! <-> DPM2012R2)

First we installed DPM (make sure it is exactly the same Version and you use the same hostname!!)
    Then we imported the Disks (These are dynamic disks so you have to Import them within Windows first)

You do not Need MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 in this case. that is when you would like to move your DPM Storage to a different SAN storage for example.

Hope it helps

/bkpfast

My postings are provided &quot;AS IS&quot; with no warranties and confer no rights

• Marked as answer by AhmadJY Monday, September 25, 2017 11:21 AM
    Friday, September 22, 2017 9:15 AM
  • Hi,

Hope it helps

/bkpfast

Thanks sir.

But what you mean by the below as I did not really get it:

When using big disks the Import of the volumes can take several hours!.

In my case I will ask the storage admin to remove presentation of the 5 LUNs from old DPM to new DPM after new DPM is installed then I will restore database, is this ok?

• Edited by AhmadJY Friday, September 22, 2017 9:29 AM
    Friday, September 22, 2017 9:29 AM
  • Hi,

yes, generally.
    When you configure a dynamic disk on a Windows Server (what not yery much People do but DPM uses dynamic disks) the Server Kind of "owns" this dynamic disk.

When you connect this disk to a different Windows Server the server recognizes this disk as a"Foreign Disk".
    In this state DPM cannot use it.
    Before restoring the DB you have to "Import Foreign Disks" within Windows Disk Management.

regards

/bkpfast

Friday, September 22, 2017 9:36 AM
  • the main idea to restore same protection groups configuration and keep previously protected data on the short term backup LUNs to be accessed from new DPM; in fact keeping same name for DPM server is not important so is the next method https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757865(v=sc.12).aspx#BKMK_Diff is better and faster in this case? Do I still need to import the LUNs from within windows after attaching the storage to the new server? 
    Friday, September 22, 2017 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

yes, generally.
    When you configure a dynamic disk on a Windows Server (what not yery much People do but DPM uses dynamic disks) the Server Kind of "owns" this dynamic disk.

When you connect this disk to a different Windows Server the server recognizes this disk as a"Foreign Disk".
    In this state DPM cannot use it.
    Before restoring the DB you have to "Import Foreign Disks" within Windows Disk Management.

regards

/bkpfast

Thanks and appreciated; so either way\method used will need to import the LUNs from within windows.
    • Edited by AhmadJY Friday, September 22, 2017 9:38 AM
    Friday, September 22, 2017 9:38 AM
  • That is basically a fresh Installation of a new DPM Server and not a real Migration.

For the Retention time you need extra disk space and cannot use the same Disks / LUNs.

For example (you have to Keep the backups for 30 days - then you have to Keep your old DPM for 30 days and only after that you can reuse the LUNs.

"

Step 3—Run side by side

You’ll need to maintain the previous DPM server until the recovery points from inactive replicas on it are no longer required."

Friday, September 22, 2017 9:44 AM