Issues with company templates in Word RRS feed

• Question

• For our company I've created Word templates with our own logo and branding (fonts, tables, etc.). These templates were created on a Mac and tested on a Windows computer, since most of our colleagues use Windows laptops. I've saved the templates as .dotx files and my colleague loaded them into the Microsoft Office 365 server of our company, so everyone with a Windows laptop who's connected to that server can use the templates.

Since we're using the new templates (October 2018) we've experienced some issues. Some I was able to fix myself, but recently I ran into an issue that is difficult for me to fix. One of my colleagues who often creates long documents keeps running into this difficult issue. He starts by using one of the templates we've made. He types the whole document, usually at least 30 pages long. At some point all of the sudden the design of the template gets lost. Sometimes it's when he updates the index page, sometimes when he adds a table, sometimes when he wants to add an extra title with numbering in the middle of the document (the numbering all of the sudden starts again from that point). At all moments the document loses its initial design. So the table fonts and colors, header fonts and colors and index are completely gone. He basically has to copy everything and start over again in a new document.

I have no idea what could be the reason that the settings of the document all of the sudden change. Any clue?

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 6:20 AM

All replies

• Your description suggests some background process is causing the document on your colleague's computer to detach itself from the template, in which case it's most likely defaulting to Word's Normal template. Try starting Word in safe mode (depress the Ctrl key while starting Word) to see whether that resolves the issue. If so, a rogue addin is the most likely cause. In that case, re-start Word normally then disable all third-party addins, re-enabling one at a time over a suitable testing period until the culprit is found. Disable/replace that addin. The other possibility is that something is causing the document to lose its connection to the template across your server, in which case there's a networking problem. That of itself wouldn't be sufficient to account for the loss of formatting, though. Nevertheless, storing a copy of the template locally and connecting to it there might resolve the issue.

Assuming a change in attached templates is occurring, the loss of formatting would most likely because the document has the 'Automatically update document styles' option checked. See under Developer|Document Template>Templates. Unchecking that option should result in the document retaining the original formatting when its connection to the template is lost.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Tuesday, May 7, 2019 6:33 AM
  • Hi,

Please follow Paul's suggestions. If you have any updates or anything unclear, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, May 8, 2019 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If the reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 6:53 AM
  • I suspect that Paul's analysis is spot on. If your templates create documents that are set to automatically update styles from the template, you may need a vba fix for this to change the option in all of your templates. Graham Mayor has an Add-In that might be useful for that: Document Batch Processes by Graham Mayor, MVP

The line of code it would use is:

ActiveDocument.UpdateStylesOnOpen = False

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 7:00 PM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 7:30 AM