none
PowerShell and Third Party Cmd Line Programs RRS feed

• Question

• Currently built a Windows Server 2012 Datacenter and install NetIQ's DRA 9.0 in preparation of upgrading our servers.

However, to streamline the process of creating Active Views, Assistant Admins, and Groups in DRA/AD I have began writing some scripts, and everything in PowerShell is working wonderfully except one thing.

To create Active Views and Assistant Admins, and to delegate rights through DRA i need to use the DRA EA command line tool that comes with the software, and I have no idea how to use it within a PS Script.

I have found examples other people have posted for other software but they all seem to need to only run one command from their tool, where I have a large amount of EA commands I would like to pipe through powershell. 

Any suggestions on where to start on this? Should I create a function to run this? With all the examples I am honestly pretty lost since I am relatively new with powershell for anything that basic look up commands

So in short, I would like to be able to call the ea.exe utility from powershell and input the commands for it and it have it run as though it were being done through from command prompt.

Saturday, December 19, 2015 1:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• You should start by posting in the NetIQ forum for DRA.  They are the only ones who can work with you and their product.

\_(ツ)_/

Saturday, December 19, 2015 1:53 AM
  • Saturday, December 19, 2015 1:55 AM
  • Here is an example of the hookup to PS: https://www.netiq.com/documentation/idm402drivers/ad/data/b102qqta.html

Post questions in these forums as needed: https://forums.netiq.com/forum.php

\_(ツ)_/

• Proposed as answer by jrv Saturday, December 19, 2015 5:08 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Bill_StewartModerator Saturday, December 19, 2015 3:09 PM
    Saturday, December 19, 2015 2:03 AM
  • So, sorry I may not have been clear on this.

I don't need help with the DRA PowerShell Cmdlets, as I understand them and they cannot complete the same functions as the DRA EA.EXE Cmd Line Utility. I do not need help with the functions within the EA.EXE Utility Either. 

I would like to know if it is possible within PowerShell, with any third party cmd line utility, to call and use the utility in powershell as a variable and input arguments into that utility as if I was running it from a cmd prompt without having to have a secondary script to do so.

Saturday, December 19, 2015 5:05 AM
  • For help with third party utilities please post in third party forums.  We cannot support third party programs.

If you have a specific questions about how to do something we can try and help you with that.  As for how to use third party utilities we are not able to help you with those.  Please read the forum guidelines.

If you just want to know how to run a program then look at this:

help start-process -full

\_(ツ)_/

Saturday, December 19, 2015 5:12 AM
  • Just run EA.exe using the command-line options needed.

PowerShell runs executables without problems.

Have a look at this article.

Windows IT Pro: Running Executables in PowerShell

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Saturday, December 19, 2015 3:06 PM