failed to start network policy server the service changed to an unexpected state RRS feed

• Question

• Installed Net Work Policy & Access services on a w2k8 server SP2. Netowrk Policy Server fails to start with the following error message "failed to start network policy server the service changed to an unexpected state". If I start it from services it just says "unspecified error"

Help!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:22 PM

Answers

• FIXED on my server.  Here's what I did:

1. Based on other forum posts, I ran "netsh ras set tracing * enable" to enable tracing
    2. Attempted to install NPS, which failed (as usual), and then I looked in the logs in the %SystemRoot%\Tracing folder.
    3. Found that one of the logs reported that the installation didn't like the formatting of  C:\Windows\System32\ias\ias.xml, so I deleted it.
    4. Installed NPS successfully (it made a new ias.xml file)
    5. Ran "netsh ras set tracing * disable" to disable tracing
    Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by COTAL1 Wednesday, April 21, 2010 2:59 PM
    Monday, April 19, 2010 5:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post.

From your description, I understand that NPS service cannot start and says “unspecified error” on Windows Server 2008 SP2.

Please check if the error code 0x80004005 shows up when trying to start the NPS service.

If so, please check the following registry key is set correct:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\VssAccessControl
    Verify that the setting for NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE is set to 1. If this is set to 0 change it to 1.

Reboot the server to verify if the NPS service will start.

If the problem continues, we need to take the time to collect the detailed information for further research.

1. Download proper MPS Report tool from the website below.

Microsoft Product Support Reports

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en

2. Double-click to run it, if requirement is not met, please follow the wizard to download and install them. After that, click Next, when the "Select the diagnostics you want to run" page appears, select "General", “Server Components”, click Next.

3. After collecting all log files, choose "Save the results", choose a folder to save <Computername>MPSReports.cab file.

For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you.  You can upload the information files to the following link.  (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft")

Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=fe05bdba-2543-470e-9c76-6b7884405b4c)

Password: {8parDKrMH^ez)X

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken.  Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser.

Hope this helps.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 8:14 AM
  • I've checked the registry setting and that was as it should be so I have uploaded the file you requested
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 3:03 PM
  • I'm having the same errors with my Server 2008 Standard box.  Can I send you my info as well?
    Monday, April 5, 2010 6:35 PM
  • I am also having this problem. Would you like me to send data as well?
    Friday, April 16, 2010 7:24 PM
  • FIXED on my server.  Here's what I did:

1. Based on other forum posts, I ran "netsh ras set tracing * enable" to enable tracing
    2. Attempted to install NPS, which failed (as usual), and then I looked in the logs in the %SystemRoot%\Tracing folder.
    3. Found that one of the logs reported that the installation didn't like the formatting of  C:\Windows\System32\ias\ias.xml, so I deleted it.
    4. Installed NPS successfully (it made a new ias.xml file)
    5. Ran "netsh ras set tracing * disable" to disable tracing
    Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by COTAL1 Wednesday, April 21, 2010 2:59 PM
    Monday, April 19, 2010 5:52 PM
  • You get the gold star for that. I deleted ias.xml and off it went.

Thanks very much

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 2:59 PM
  • Hi All,

I lost many hours in a project because of this problem. I tried everything and googled everything etc.. I reckon I came accross every blog, expertsexchange post and technet forum.

Nothing would fix it.

Out of the blue, I just thought I would change the service to "Automatic" instead of it being "Automatic - Delayed Start" and it works. No matter how many times I rebooted the server, it works still.

I service packed the server to 2008 R2 SP1 and it still works.

Other notes of interest:

• There seems to be no errors in the event log because of the change which is good.
    • The server in question happens to have Trend (not SEP) and Shadow Protect 4.1 installed, It has DC (FSMO)  DNS, DHCP etc., I could not find any vss errors or shared ports. I even tried it on other servers in the domain (server 2008 R2 and plain ol' 32 bit server 2008 and I had the same issues on them - the service wouldn't start..)
    • The existing server 2003 IAS boxed worked fine though.

I hope my post helps many others with this problem.

David
    MCSE, MCITP(SA,EA,EMA,W7EDA), VMware VCP4

Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:10 AM
  • It's a shame this is not captured in the Event Viewer. Thank you so much for the insight!

Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:19 PM
  • Our issue is a bit different, initially we thought it's ias.xml related since it worked after we removed it. It generateda new one. However, the NPS service stuck at "Starting" again after rebooted. If we set it to Manual start and start it manually which seemed to start. Anyway, that's what happened to us.

Sunday, March 22, 2020 10:33 PM