How Can I Overcome the 4096 MB Maximum Virtual Memory Limit on 32-bit Windows XP Professional? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a system running Windows XP Professional (32-bit), with SP3 and 4 GB of physical RAM installed.  The system is using software-based DEP, too.  I am trying to fine-tune the virtual memory setting.  In the virtual memory applet, itself, it suggests the virtual memory should be 5GB+; yet, with the system managing the virtual memory, the system is only allocating approximately 3 GB of virtual memory.  For many other similar systems, I would set an identical minimum and maximum setting, to no more than five MB higher than what the system suggests and it usually works, flawlessly.  However, on this particular system, although the system is managing the virtual memory and it is suggesting 5 GB+ of virtual memory, it will not adjust, accordingly and it will NOT allow me to customize a manual maximum virtual memory setting that is greater than 4096 MB.  When I attempt to customize a maximum virtual memory setting, a dialog box is produced, indicating that I must set a maximum virtual memory setting that is more than the minimum customized setting and less than 4096 MB.  The problem is that this maximum page file limit is below the 5 GB+ setting the system, itself is indicating it wants.  How can I adjust the maximum virtual memory setting, to create a pagefile that is larger than the 4096 maximum page file limit?  I have been researching this issue and have found information on PAE and /3GB boot.ini switches; yet, this does not quite seem to be where I feel comfortable going, just yet; so, I wanted to pose this question to this forum.  I look forward to everyone’s help; thank you!

Sunday, May 1, 2011 9:32 PM

All replies

• There is nothing unusual with your system.  The maximum Windows XP can use is approximately 3.25GB.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Proposed as answer by kldb57 Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:37 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by kldb57 Wednesday, May 11, 2011 1:38 AM
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 10:54 PM
  • Hello:

From additional research, it appears the possible reason why most of my systems can use a pagefile.sys that is larger than 4096 MB is due to the installed memory and/or the installed processor (using PAE mode).  Could these be the possible reasons why most of my systems never blink whenever I create a pagefile.sys file that is larger than 4096 MB?  And, I am only creating such a large pagefile.sys because the Microsoft applet suggests such a large pagefile.sys in the first place.

• Proposed as answer by kldb57 Tuesday, January 5, 2016 11:17 PM
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 10:41 PM
  • Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:48 PM