Windows thinks my CPU is 5x faster than it is RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I have a very odd problem.

Occasionally when I boot into Win7 the applications that I open take a long time to transition from transparent to fully opaque when initially opened or when minimised / maximised. Once the application is open however it seems to run fine, I have tried high CPU intensity games to test this and they benchmark normally.

I tried doing a windows experience system rating test to try to point towards what might be causing the problem (I expected the graphics score to suddenly be low or something) and to my great surprise I suddenly had 7.9 across the board! I usually have an average of 6.0.

I had a look in System settings and saw that Windows thought that my CPU was running at 17.29GHz, My CPU is 2.66GHz Quad core overclocked to 3.60Ghz and has been stable at this frequency for about 8 months. I know that there is no way that my CPU can be running at 17Ghz, it would never boot. So there must be a problem with Window's detection of the CPU speed.

To fix the problem I just reboot the system, its just a pain that this keeps happening.

I have a dual-boot system with Linux (Ubuntu), I have never seen any problems in that OS. I use them both equally and every day.

There has been no recent hardware changes.

This has been happening for about 8 weeks and has occurred 4 times.

It has happened both from a cold boot in the morning and a warm reset from 1 OS to the other.

Any ideas?

Andy

Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:49 PM

All replies

• Since you are overclocking it, it's entirely possible something is finally breaking down, be it the CPU, RAM, or the MB chipset. O/C is hard on the entire system, especially if you are boosting it by ~30%. If you put all of your bus speeds, etc., back to default, do you still have problems? Are the air inlets, outlets, and heat sinks all clear of dust, pet hair, or other obstructions? Heat is a real killer on O/C'd systems.

SC Tom
    -There's no such thing as TMI when asking for tech support.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Delete the files from the C:\Windows\Performance\WinSAT\DataStore and run the Index calculation again. Also undo the OC in the BIOS.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 3:18 PM
  • I was hoping that people wouldn't blame the over-clocking and that there might be another simple explanation, although I must agree that it does seem likely that it is to blame. I'll try lowering the frequency slightly and see if the problem goes away.

There is no way for me to actually recreate the error, it seems random (less than once per week) so I won't actually know straight away if this has fixed it. I'll post back here in a few weeks if it doesn't happen again.

If it does happen again I'll try Andre.Ziegler's test.

As for the heat idea, I have water-cooling for RAM, CPU and GPU with thermometers on them. They never read above 50'C, there is also a safety measure where the PC would automatically shut down if any thermometer gets to 55'C

Cheers,

Andy

Friday, January 28, 2011 12:09 PM