Screen weirdness when opening Wordpad RRS feed

• Question

• I have Vista RC1 32-bit, 2GB of RAM, a GeForce 6800GT w/256MB of video RAM, a Dell LCD monitor connected via DVI, and Aero Glass enabled.

When I open a 154k RTF file in Wordpad and I scroll through it with my mouse wheel, the entire screen goes black for a little more than a second, then comes back. It stops happening once I close Wordpad. I have not noticed this in other applications so far.

Has anyone else seen this?

Friday, September 15, 2006 3:47 AM

All replies

• Hmmm.. Hard to say what's going on here exactly. I have a similar setup - RC1-32bit, 1 GB system RAM, a GeForce 7300 GS based vid card with 256 MB of VRAM installed - though, I have a 21" CRT using a standard Analog connection.

I tried opening a file of similar size - no problems. I tried a file 3x the size, still no problems. Even opened one that was 1,168 KB and scrolled through the whole thing (It's a user guide for something or other I found on my network...) and the symptoms you've described didn't manifest themselves.

Maybe it's a video driver issue? You might want to go to Nvidia's site and get the latest beta driver. It's been my experience their drivers are better than the ones Microsoft provides with their distribution...

Monday, September 18, 2006 12:27 AM
  • I have installed the latest NVidia drivers for Vista RC1. However, I still get this issue. It's not just with Wordpad either. It happens when I visit web pages sometimes, or when a common dialog is open.

Has anyone else seen this? This bug is highly annoying, and it's impossible to do anything without Alt+F4'ing the app so I can see the screen for more than a half second at a time.

Saturday, September 23, 2006 12:20 AM
  • I have more information about this bug. It happens when a certain number of windows are showing at one time, but this number is not constant. I'm not talking about a lot of windows, either. Some windows will be more prone to causing this than others. Some examples would be the Common Dialog, Firefox, and the Start Menu.

I doubt this has to do with available video memory, because I have 256MB of it, and on top of that, Vista says it's sharing 256MB of system RAM to bring the total video memory to 500MB+. I believe this would be plenty to run a few apps at one time.

The entire screen goes completely black for a few seconds at a time, like it's trying to switch video modes.

Saturday, September 23, 2006 2:33 AM