none
The protection agent was in an unexpected state error RRS feed

• Question

• The protection agent on <dpmserver> was temporarily unable to respond because it was in an unexpected state. (ID 60 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909B0)

Iv been looking around and have had a hard time finding a solution for this problem on a DPM 2010 server. As far as I can tell it has all the updates and I don't see how it can be a latency issue because the DPM server and the server its trying to back up are on the same switch along with other servers DPM has no problems with.

The server its backing up is a SQL database and it is only one small section that it fails to back up. Something interesting Iv noticed is I have tried to retry the tape backup at different times over 3 days, after it fails the data transfered can be anywhere from 0Mb to a little over 1gig but the time elapsed is always around 7min 20sec within a range of about 10 seconds. I dont know if thats significant I just thought it was interesting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hi

Go to %program files%\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Temp and review the logs for errors. Also look in the local application and system logs on the affected server with the time stamp corresponding to the alert in the DPM console.

If you don't solve the problem, post the logs here and we'll look at it.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Sunday, May 22, 2011 8:42 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same issue. There are .errlog and .crash files in %program files%\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Temp. How do I interpret their contents?
    • Edited by CCMartinson Monday, January 7, 2013 7:17 PM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 7:15 PM