Sharepoint Services 3.0 Migration RRS feed

• Question

• I am in charge of upgrading our sharepoint site, which it is already running sharepoint services 3.0 but it is running on windows server 2003 and SQL server 2005. Our current sharepopint site was set up by a user who is no longer with us so all of this is done by me for the first time. I have a new sharepoint services farm set up on our new windows 2008 R2 and SQL server 2008.

Ive read a lot probably too many ways ( too many in the way it is now confusing on which to choose) to either back up/restore, migrate sharepoint. All I want to do is move ALL the content of my current sharepoint services from windows server 2003 over to to my new server windows 2008. The sharepoint is completly functionally for what the company needs I dont need to jazz it up, Basically just copy and paste it into the new location on another server to put it simple.

Ive tried to use the back up option in the sharepoint administration site, with failues. Ive tried to create a site back up the master page via Sharepoint designer 2007, with failures. I think I am making this more complicated that it actually is. Any help/tips/ideas would be gratefully appreciated.

Thursday, June 27, 2013 7:18 PM

All replies

• I would like to update this. I have performed a successfull back up on my windows server 2003 sharepoint via the sharepoint administration console. Now my new sharepoint services is running on windows server 2008 and this is going to be the server that I am going to perform the restore on, now when I start the restore on this seperate farm, will it take down or cause problems with the original sharepoint I have on windows server 2003? Or will they co exist out there on " http:// sharepoint1" and "http:// sharepoint2"  (1 being the 2003 and 2 being the 2008) or once the restore is complete will the whole thing blow up on me?
    Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:02 PM
  • Hi,

Normally this should not pose any issues, just make sure that the restore doesn't want to write its restored databases to the old database server.

Friday, June 28, 2013 8:47 AM
  • During the restore I am getting this error for both my content and search databases.

Object INTRANET2013test (previous name: INTRANET) failed in event OnRestore. For
    more information, see the error log located in the backup directory.
    SqlException: Directory lookup for the file
    "D:\SQLData\INTRANET2013test.mdf" failed with the operating
    system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.). File
    'INTRANET' cannot be restored to
    'D:\SQLData\INTRANET2013test.mdf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify a
    valid location for the file. Directory lookup for the file
    "D:\SQLData\INTRANET2013test_log.ldf" failed with the
    operating system error 2(The system cannot find the file specified.). File
    'INTRANET_log' cannot be restored to
    'D:\SQLData\INTRANET2013test_log.ldf'. Use WITH MOVE to identify
    a valid location for the file. Problems were identified while planning for the
    RESTORE statement. Previous messages provide details. RESTORE DATABASE is
    terminating abnormally.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:41 PM