none
DHCP Server for Multiple VLANs RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings Community,

I'm preparing to replace an aging DHCP server (running FreeBSD) with a Windows 2012 server.  I've configured DHCP before on Windows Server (2k8 and 2k8 R2) as well as on Cisco routers and on other OSes.

Currently, the old FreeBSD server we have now has multiple VLANs that it serves DHCP requests for.  The way it is set up is the FreeBSD server has a trunk port connection to the switch.  Then, the server itself has IP addresses on each VLAN so that it can service DHCP for all the VLANs.  It's pretty simple and it works ... but the hardware is very old and all our other servers are Windows Servers, so it would be nice to replace this with a Windows Server as well for consistency.

I know that Windows Server 2012 can be configured with multiple scopes in DHCP.  What I don't know is how to configure the networking side of things.  Do I still need to have a trunk link coming from the switch to this server?  Do I set up virtual interfaces for each VLAN with an IP address in each VLAN?  If not, do I simply feed it a standard access link and then use IP Helper on the L3 switch?  If the latter of these options is correct, then my understanding is this:

1. Set up a standard access link from the switch to the 2012 Server.
    2. Assign an IP address to the server within my management VLAN.
    3. Set up the IP Helper on the L3 switch to point to the IP address for the 2012 Server, as well as assigning which VLANs go to that specific server.
    4. Set up multiple scopes in DHCP on the 2012 Server matching the IP addressing scheme for each of the VLANs I wish to service.

Am I understanding this all correctly?  Thanks for any feedback you guys (and gals) can offer to help me wrap my head around this.

Oh, and this network is utilizing IPv4, in case it matters.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• Found my answer.  I should have searched the forum first.

The answer is in this thread:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/dd5b5e8b-9730-443b-9e44-49c8419a5f5d/multiple-vlans-and-microsoft-dhcp-server-with-multiple-scopes?forum=winserverNIS

Thanks!

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 12:49 AM
  • Hi ECCS IT Admin,

That's OK. Glad to see you have found the answer, welcome to ask questions on TechNet forum.

Best Regards,

Anne 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 6:29 AM