none
Recovery Volumes listed as RAW RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DPM 2012R2 installation on Windows Server 2008 R2.

The DPM server is a VM running on Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V.

I shutdown the VM and host recently, and DPM is now reporting a subset of recovery volumes as RAW.

What has happened to my volumes!? How can I recover these volumes?

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 8:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Outlined symptom seems to suggest that the replica volume for that data source is going into shadow copy protection mode. 

“The Raw volumes can be due to the volumes being placed into shadow copy protection mode.  This is a VSS feature that helps preserve shadow copies when writes cannot be done on the recovery point volumes.” 

I would suggest looking at the system event log, specifically for events from VOLSNAP and see if it details volumes going into shadow copy protection mode. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Dwayne Jackson II. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:18 PM
  • Hey Dwayne,

Thanks for the heads up; I've found some events in the last week related to VOLSNAP, most related to the page file being too small.

Volume .... is offline for shadow copy protection.  A memory mapping failed.  Consider increasing the size of the page file.  Please try clearing the protection fault or restart the computer.  If all else fails, revert out of shadow copy protection mode to reclaim the use of the volume while losing the shadow copies.

Would this cause a volume to go bad after a reboot?

Cheers.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 10:30 PM
  • Happy to assist. So the information you outlined confirms we have a volume with shadow copy protection enabled.  Based off the error provided I would suggest ensuring the page file is set correctly (1.5* amount of RAM) on the DPM server the below outlines the recommended settings for DPM 2012(should also hold true for DPM 2012 R2). Note once the page file is adjusted a reboot will be required.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh757757.aspx

If the above steps do not remedy the issue you will need to manual bring each volume in question out of Shadow Copy Protection Mode (As those actions are at the OS level the Windows forum would be the next course of action to assist). Until the volumes in question are brought out of Shadow Copy Protection mode and not showing as Raw DPM will not be able to leverage them.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Dwayne Jackson II. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights."

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 3:10 PM