MultiThread PST Capture 2.0? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I am having to use PST Capture 2.0 to migrate to Exchange Online (unable to use cutover/staged/IMAP for technical reasons) and have aver 500 psts to upload.  I am using the PST Capture tool to upload to Online but it only seems to do one PST at a time, is this by design or is there a config setting I am missing?
    Friday, April 5, 2013 1:40 PM

All replies

•   

Hi

Step 1: Create an Import List

There are three ways to create a PST import list:

• If you haven’t created any import lists, the New Import List button will      be visible on the Home tab of the PST Capture      Console. Click New Import List, and then      select Cloud Import List or OnPrem      Import List depending on where the target mailboxes      reside.
    • In the PST Capture Console,      click New, and then click Import      List.

You can create only a cloud-based import list using this   method.

• If you select the PST files      you want to import from the PST Search tab, the New      Import List button will be enabled. Click New      Import List, and then select Cloud      Import List or OnPrem Import List depending      on where the target mailboxes reside.

Step 2: Add PST Files Directly to an Import List

You can also add PST files directly from the file system to an existing import list. This alternative can be useful if PST files exist on a computer or device in your network on which you can’t install the PST Capture agent. For example, you can use this method to import PST files that are on network attached storage (NAS) devices.

In the PST Capture Console, click Add From Folder, browse to the location that contains the PST files you want to import, select the PST files, and then click Open. You can use mapped network drives as well as UPN shares.

Step 3: Perform a PST Import

This procedure creates an import list from within the PST search tab, and then imports the PSTs in the list to the mailboxes in your on-premises Exchange or Exchange Online organization.

1. On the import list tab, you      must first specify the destination mailbox for each PST file. There are      three ways to assign destination mailboxes to PST files:
      • Click the Set       mailbox link in the Destination Mailbox       column. This opens the Set Mailbox dialog box, in       which you can specify a mailbox for the PST file.
      • Click Set       to File Owner to assign the mailbox associated with the       Active Directory account that’s listed as the file owner as the       destination mailbox. PST Capture performs this operation only for PST       files that don’t already have a mailbox assigned. Therefore, in most       cases, it would be a good idea to first set the destination mailboxes for       any exceptions and then set all the remaining PSTs to file owners.
      • Select the PST files       to which you want to assign a mailbox, and then, on the Import       List menu, click Selected PST Files > Set       Destination Mailbox. You can use this method to assign       multiple PSTs to a single destination mailbox.
    2. After assigning destination      mailboxes to all PST files in the import list, you can either schedule the      import for a specific time or run the import manually.
      • To schedule the       import, click Set Schedule, specify the       following options, and then click OK:

• Start        date Use the corresponding lists to specify the start        date and time.  
        • Run        the import for Select this check box if you want to        suspend PST imports that haven’t completed within a certain time range.        Specify the hours and minutes that you want the PST import operation to        run. This option is useful if you want to limit the PST import        operations to off hours.  
        • Resume        Select this check box to resume the PST import operation if it doesn’t        complete at the time it was originally scheduled. Use the corresponding        list to specify the frequency at which to resume the import operation.        When the import resumes, PST Capture will continue importing messages        from the point at which it stopped. It won’t import messages that were        already imported successfully.
                 On resume, retry files that have failed to start importing        Select this check box to attempt to import any PST files that weren’t        successfully imported the first time.
      • To run the import       manually, click Import All Now.
    3. The status of the import      operations are displayed in the Import results pane.
    4. Once imported, the contents      of the PST files will appear in user mailboxes as specified by the PST      Capture settings. By default, all imported PST files are imported to a      top-level folder within the mailbox. You can control the folder      destination for the imported PSTs by changing the PST Capture settings.      For more information, see Configure      PST Capture Settings.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh781035.aspx

Terence Yu

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 8, 2013 2:36 AM
  • Hi Terence,

I understand the process of creating the Import tasks, my question is, is there a way to allow the psts to import to the cloud concurrently as at the minute it stages all the psts fine but then only uploads one pst at a time...

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 11:08 AM
  • can you not allow the users to import the PST themselves? don't they use Office Outlook?

Where Technology Meets Talent

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:37 PM
  • I'm importing a couple of hundred PSTs right now:

I couldn't figure out a way to make one PST Capture 2.0 concurrently import PSTs (suspect it just can't and that's probably something to do with the Outlook components it apparently uses) so found enough room on a Hyper-V to make three VMs insteads and they've been steadily pushing PSTs to Office365 for 30 hours without any issues so far. The combined rate is ~1GB of PSTs imported into Office365 per hour on a fast (not a bottleneck) connection out to the net.

Each VM is a 2GB RAM workgroup 2008 R2 with a working PST Capture & pre-reqs installed, then cloned twice and computer-renamed etc. If all you're doing is pushing a collection of PSTs you rounded up manually or exported from an Exchange, then you can run it on a non-domain machine but it does routinely complain about not being able to bind to AD in the logs. Note before attempting to get PST Capture to do anything I look at those logs a minimum 20 mins after starting a VM to ensure "BposHarvester" managed to get the list of mailboxes from the cloud - if you don't do this it can get frustrating/confusing!

I made a cloud admin account exclusively for use by PST Capture and gave it full permissions to the target mailboxes in powershell beforehand (probably unnecessary but it's quick & easy). If I'd had resources to make more VMs for this I'd have tried using different cloud admin credentials for every set of 3 VMs because there used to be, and probably still is, a per-user limit of three concurrent powershell sessions.

• Edited by Alan-LEA Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:44 PM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 8:43 PM