major keyboard problem in laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I have a very weird keyboard problem. My son spilled some water on the keyboard of my Toshiba laptop. After cleaning it up and blowing it out it seemed to work fine for a few hours but the next day the keyboard was unresponsive. I had to use the onboard keyboard.

Over time I've discovered that the keyboard somehow seems to be asleep. If I start the laptop to the logon screen, the keyboard doesn't work. If I immediately hit the power button to put the laptop to sleep, wait a few seconds, and then hit the power button to wake the computer up, about half the time the keyboard works.

Another thing, the keyboard always work in the bios settings with no problems.

So I've tried everything. Reinstalling drivers. Restored to earlier settings. Reinstalling windows. Today, I did a clean install. Wiped the whole hard drive. Same thing.

I'm totally lost. I can't afford to replace this laptop, it's my wifes. I'm at my wits end.

Anybody have a miracle out there for me?

Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:32 PM

Answers

• You could try a cheapo ($5-10) USB keyboard plugged into the laptop to see how it performs to see if it is in fact the laptops keyboard thats screwy or Windows.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:39 PM
  • Hi,

You can also try to use additional USB keyboard to check the result. If it works, you can try to contact your OEM to check the hardware issue.

Thanks,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 18, 2013 8:23 AM

All replies

• You could try a cheapo ($5-10) USB keyboard plugged into the laptop to see how it performs to see if it is in fact the laptops keyboard thats screwy or Windows.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:39 PM
  • That's a good idea. I'll try that. Although it's very odd to me that the keyboard works fine before Windows loads, but not after Windows loads. Additionally, I can get the keyboard to work in Windows if I follow the weird steps above. Once I get the keyboard working, it will work all day until I put the computer to sleep, hibernate, or shut it down.

Checking to see what happens with a usb keyboard will certainly be enlightening, though I still don't know what I'll do about it.

Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:54 PM
  • Hi,

You can also try to use additional USB keyboard to check the result. If it works, you can try to contact your OEM to check the hardware issue.

Thanks,

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 18, 2013 8:23 AM