none
Summary task not updating? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I don't use project very often, so I may be missing something obvious. I have created all of my tasks of my project, which includes sub tasks and summary tasks. At one point the summary tasks work correctly, changing the dates as the sub tasks changed and so on. But now some summary tasks are not updating, and even the Task Inspector is telling me the summary task is out of sync with the sub tasks, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to "re-sync" them. I have tried indenting, out denting, and even create new tasks and made the summary, but they just default to the project start date and still ignore the subtasks.  What am I not doing correctly here?

Any help is appreciated!

MS Project 2010 Pro
    • Edited by Mort81 Monday, February 13, 2012 4:07 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 4:06 PM

Answers

• John,

After closed the flie to zip it, I then later re-opened it and decided to hit F9 to make sure it was calulating, and it did update the dates.  Its like its not honoring the setting of calculate after each edit.  Strange.

Thanks for the help, but I think this gets me moving forward again!

• Marked as answer by Mort81 Monday, February 13, 2012 6:25 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 6:25 PM

All replies

• Mort81,

Since you indicate this is occuring with some summary tasks and not others and you have Project 2010, my first guess is that some of your summary tasks are set to "manually scheduled". Display the Task Mode field and make sure all tasks are set for "auto scheduled". You probably also want to go to the options and make sure the default setting for new tasks is "auto scheduled".

A second possibility, since you also indicate you have been indenting and outdenting tasks, is that you may have links on one of those "errant" summary lines. Links on summary lines are bad practice and can cause unexpected results.

Finally, make sure your options are set for automatic calculation.

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, February 13, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.  I do have calculate project after each edit turned on, I have also switched all tasks, summary and sub between auto and manual update, with no luck either way.  I also do keep predecessors at the subtask level.  Typiclly I keep all subtasks set to manual as I don't want the dates or durration changing at that level unless I do it myself.  (ie only predecessors can change them)

In one example in my project file, I ahve only one subtask under a summary task that is doing this issue and I have removed the predecessor of that subtask and it is still doing the same thing.  I'm not sure what I'm not seeing.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Monday, February 13, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Mort91,

I'm confused by your statement about keeping all subtasks in manual mode so the dates or duration don't change unless you do it manually. The whole point of a dynamic schedule is to see how the logic network responds to changes. The only reason dates or duration may change is because of dependencies (i.e. predecessor) or resource assignments (e.g. add a resource) change and Project's scheduling engine responds to those, as it should. Project doesn't just randomly change things on its own.

In the example you gave can you provide more details? For example are both auto scheduled? What are the start and finish dates of the subtask? What does the summary line show (i.e. dates & duration)? Are resources assigned to the subtask? What is the project calendar?

John

Monday, February 13, 2012 4:43 PM
  • Hi John,

MS Project is way eaiser to create the different views (Gantt, Calendar, Tracking Gantt, and Resource Usage) for tasks, than say in excel, however with that said, I do not like Project changing dates because of resource allocation.  I know its not changing things on its own randomly :)  Just a preference that I perfer to keep the sub tasks "locked" if you will.

With that said however, for this issue that I am seeing, at the moment I have every task in the the project set to auto, but still see the issue.  Project Start date is 2/20 and Schedule from Project Start Date, Standard Calendar.  Sub task is 3/21 to 4/10 with a 120 hrs.  Summary keeps defaulting to 2/20 to 2/21 and thinks 10 hrs (no estimate ? mark).  No Resources assigned to either yet.

Another thing that I notice sometimes is that the dates won't change either without me selecting the Respect Links button.  Not sure why I have to hit this sometimes, I would like it to always do this?  Perhaps another option I don't have set somewhere?

Thanks for your help on this, just driving me crazy as I'm sure its something I've overlooked or did incorrectly.

• Edited by Mort81 Monday, February 13, 2012 5:15 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 5:14 PM
  • Mort81,

Even with the additional detail it is still difficult to really understand your structure. It would be a whole lot easier if I could see your file. We could first try a screen shot showing the summary and subtask in question in the default Gantt Chart view. Or, if you could zip you file and send it to my addess below, I've have a look. I will ask some questions.

John

jensenljatatfastmaildotdotfm

(remove obvious redundancies and the 7th character is an alpha)

Monday, February 13, 2012 5:49 PM
  • John,

After closed the flie to zip it, I then later re-opened it and decided to hit F9 to make sure it was calulating, and it did update the dates.  Its like its not honoring the setting of calculate after each edit.  Strange.

Thanks for the help, but I think this gets me moving forward again!

• Marked as answer by Mort81 Monday, February 13, 2012 6:25 PM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 6:25 PM
  • Mort81,

You're welcome and thanks for the feeback. For whatever reason sometimes you just gotta kick the tires to get it moving. You should also make sure you have the latest service pack installed (SP1). You can find that at, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587.

John

Monday, February 13, 2012 6:43 PM
  • John,

I ran into it again, not sure if its a bug or not, but it seems that the project quits calculating for some reason.  I close the file and re-open it and hit F9 and then it works correctly.  Weird.  I do have the latest SP and hotfixes installed as well.  I am running the 32 bit version on Win 7 Ult 64 bit.  Maybe something there?  At least I know how to get around it.

Thanks again.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:02 PM
  • Mort81,

I doubt it's a bug or we would have seen a lot of posts by now. It could be that your file is corrupt. Does this happen with any other Project files?

If you want to clear possible file corruption, go to the MVP website at, http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm, and try one or more of the methods described in FAQ 43.

John

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:05 PM
  • Hello Friends, 

I'm having the same problem?

We found a solution?

Thanks.

Hezequias Vasconcelos

Hezequias Vasconcelos

Friday, August 3, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Hi,

I suspect your summary tasks are Manually Scheduled. Do verify.

Greetings,

Friday, August 3, 2012 6:44 PM
  • Hello Jan, 

In Project Professional 2010 32-bit I use the tasks used in this project are in automatic mode, so I can rule out this option tasks are in manual mode.

Scouring a bit I discovered that this is a bug, identified in this post.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/41ab6e9e-a290-4ab8-87b8-28667093e014/

Thanks for me help!

Hezequias Vasconcelos

Monday, August 20, 2012 12:34 PM
  • Hi,

I am having the same issue as listed above where the tasks are not updating automatically in auto setting. The summary tasks too are not rolling the data up correct. In addition, the WBS seems shot. If I move a task to a different location the WBS will not update nor will it leave the task where I moved it. It's quite frustrating. Any thoughts?

Thursday, February 7, 2013 5:05 PM
  • Hi,

You asked for thoughts.. hete's a thought. If you have links to or from summary tasks, delete them and see f that helps.

Greetings,

Friday, February 8, 2013 6:03 PM
  • That doesn't work. We don't use links in summary tasks. Also, I did notice that a new isssue has arisen. We have multiple subproject files in the schedule. In the master file the tasks that are auto scheduled are not updating when a date changes that shoudl cause it to change.  (ie you have line 1 and 2 and 3. Line 2 has a predecessor of line 1. When line one is changed, line two does not automatically change. And there are no constraints are set.) However, when I opened up all the subprojects, they now are doing the same thing. I have double checked in options too that "update after changes" or whatever that button is, is clicked. hopefully this can be fixed otherwise, project will become useless to use since you have to double check every line item each time.
    • Edited by SminH Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:58 PM
    Monday, February 11, 2013 9:11 PM
  • In my case the day of the subtask was 0 and this blocked the update of the % of the parent task. 
    Tuesday, January 3, 2017 11:18 AM
  • I am experiencing the same issue....
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 8:34 AM
  • PSnipes,

This is a rather old thread with several inputs, perhaps you should start a new thread or at least explain in greater detail exactly what you are experiencing. We also need to know what version of Project you are using and if it is fully updated.

John

Thursday, May 11, 2017 1:28 PM
  • True for me, as well.  A duration of 0 days (on a schedule visibility task) does not roll up % complete calculation to the summary level. I fixed it by changing the duration of the SVT task to 0.5 days.
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 9:15 PM