Migrate a SFB user RRS feed

• Question

• I am using hybrid environment i am using SFB2015, i want to migrate a user from onprem to online, 

my onprem account is user1-onprem@domain1.com
    my online account is xyz1-cloud@domain2.mail.onmicrosoft.com i.e routing address is : xyz1-cloud@domain2.mail.onmicrosoft.com

I belive with the below syntax i can move the user from onprem to online
    Get-CsUser -Identity sip:onpremuser@domain1.com | Move-CsUser -Target sipfed.online.lync.com -Credential $creds

What privileges do my cloud account or onprem account should have to migrate the user.
    Where do i need to give the privileges, should be it in onprem or online.
    Which account do i need to assign privileges.
    Tuesday, March 12, 2019 1:06 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please use the following cmdlet to have a try:

$cred=Get-Credential

$url="https://admin1a.online.lync.com/HostedMigration/hostedmigrationService.svc"

Move-CsUser -Identity username@contoso.com -Target sipfed.online.lync.com -Credential $cred -HostedMigrationOverrideUrl $url

Note: The highlighted "Hosted Migration Override URL" is variant, please see the following requirement. 

Besides, to move users from an on-premises environment to Skype for Business Online, you could use two methods, either the Move-CsUser cmdlet or the Skype for Business Server Control Panel.

If you like, please sign in SFB control panel with on premise Admin credential to have a try when moving the users.

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/hybrid/move-users-from-on-premises-to-skype-for-business-online#move-users-with-skype-for-business-server-control-panel

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Calvin-Liu Monday, March 18, 2019 9:06 AM
    • Marked as answer by Glenn Maxwell Sunday, December 29, 2019 6:02 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2019 9:06 AM
  • Hi,

Seems the Office 365 Admin account is not the right one for sign in.

Would you please check the procedures set up for the hybrid?

Generally, the Office 365 Admin account is necessary to be used during the deployment process, see the fourth step "Specify the authentication information" in this article: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2015/12/23/step-by-step-skype-for-business-2015-hybrid-configuration/

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Calvin-Liu Wednesday, April 3, 2019 10:01 AM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 7:40 AM

All replies

• In the on-premises environment, the user performing the move must have the CSServerAdminstrator role in Skype for Business Server.

• In Office 365, the user performing the move must either be a Global Administrator or it must have both Skype for Business Administrator and User Administrator roles.

Check here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/hybrid/move-users-between-on-premises-and-cloud

Command:

$cred=Get-Credential

$url="https://admin1a.online.lync.com/HostedMigration/hostedmigrationService.svc"

Move-CsUser -Identity username@contoso.com -Target sipfed.online.lync.com -Credential $cred -HostedMigrationOverrideUrl $url

“Vote As Helpful” and/or “Mark As Answered” - MCSA - MCSE - http://www.ucsteps.com/

Tuesday, March 12, 2019 2:05 AM
  • Hi,

Agree with Thiago.

Please make sure the account that you are using to perform the Move-CsUser cmdlet have been added CSAdministrator Property

Here you could find more details on the required Admin credentials that for moving users between on premise and online: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/SkypeForBusiness/hybrid/move-users-between-on-premises-and-cloud#required-administrative-credentials

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/SkypeForBusiness/hybrid/move-users-from-on-premises-to-skype-for-business-online

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

• Proposed as answer by Calvin-Liu Wednesday, March 13, 2019 7:59 AM
    Tuesday, March 12, 2019 9:00 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this issue? If the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well. :)

Kind regards, 

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 7:59 AM
  • i have added my onprem account(user1-onprem) to CSAdministrator group.
    After that i have logged into SFB Online Shell using my cloud account xyz1-cloud .MFA is enabled for my cloud account and it is a global admin

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-CsUser -Identity sip:clouduser@mydomain.com | Move-CsUser -Target sipfed.online.lync.com
     -Credential $creds
    Get-CsUser : The term 'Get-CsUser' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable
    program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-CsUser -Identity sip:clouduser@mydomain.com | Move-CsUser -Ta ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Get-CsUser:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException
    =====================================================
    Even i have tried on SFB onprem Management shell
    Get-CsUser -Identity sip:clouduser@mydomain.com | Move-CsUser -Target sipfed.online.lync.com -Credential $creds

Confirm
    Move-CsUser
    [Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help
    (default is "Y"):A
    Move-CsUser : Failed to logon with given credentials. Make sure correct user
    name and password provided.
    At line:1 char:55
    + Get-CsUser -Identity sip:clouduser@mydomain.com | Move-CsUser -Target
    sipfed ...
    +
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (CN=clouduser@mydomain.com) [Move-CsUser], CommonAuthException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MoveError,Microsoft.Rtc.Management.AD.Cmdlets.Mo
       veOcsUserCmdlet
    Thursday, March 14, 2019 4:36 PM
  • Hi,

Please use the following cmdlet to have a try:

$cred=Get-Credential

Note: The highlighted "Hosted Migration Override URL" is variant, please see the following requirement. 

Besides, to move users from an on-premises environment to Skype for Business Online, you could use two methods, either the Move-CsUser cmdlet or the Skype for Business Server Control Panel.

If you like, please sign in SFB control panel with on premise Admin credential to have a try when moving the users.

Reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/skypeforbusiness/hybrid/move-users-from-on-premises-to-skype-for-business-online#move-users-with-skype-for-business-server-control-panel

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

• Edited by Calvin-Liu Monday, March 18, 2019 9:06 AM
    Monday, March 18, 2019 9:06 AM
  • MFA is enabled for my global admin account on cloud

i have used the below two syntaxes but i am not able to

Windows PowerShell
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> $cred=Get-Credential

cmdlet Get-Credential at command pipeline position 1
    Supply values for the following parameters:
    Credential
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> $url="https://admin1a.online.lync.com/HostedMigration/hostedmigrationService.svc"
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Move-CsUser -Identity onpremuser@contoso.com -Target sipfed.online.lync.com -Credential $cre
    d -HostedMigrationOverrideUrl $url
    Move-CsUser : The term 'Move-CsUser' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable
    program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    + Move-CsUser -Identity onpremuser@contoso.com -Target sipfed.onlin ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Move-CsUser:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

=================================================================
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Import-Module $((Get-ChildItem -Path $($env:USERPROFILE+"\Documents\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\") -Filter SkypeOnlineConnector -Recurse ).FullName|?{$_ -notmatch "_none_"}|select -First 1) -verbose
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> $cssession = New-CsOnlineSession –Credential $cred –OverrideAdminDomain "mydomain.onmicrosoft.com"
    PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Import-PSSession $cssession

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Move-CsUser -Identity onpremuser@contoso.com -Target sipfed.online.lync.com -Credential $cred -HostedMigrationOverrideUrl $url
    Move-CsUser : The term 'Move-CsUser' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify
    that the path is correct and try again.
    + Move-CsUser -Identity onpremuser@contoso.com -Target sipfed.onlin ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (Move-CsUser:String) [], CommandNotFoundException

====================================

i have even tried from GUI, but i belive since MFA is enabled i am not able to login

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 4:06 AM
  • Hi,

Seems the Office 365 Admin account is not the right one for sign in.

Would you please check the procedures set up for the hybrid?

Generally, the Office 365 Admin account is necessary to be used during the deployment process, see the fourth step "Specify the authentication information" in this article: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2015/12/23/step-by-step-skype-for-business-2015-hybrid-configuration/

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

• Proposed as answer by Calvin-Liu Wednesday, April 3, 2019 10:01 AM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 7:40 AM