none
Decommissioning and Restoring a Child Domain

Question

• I have a task to decommission a child domain that is no longer in use. Before I plan to do this, I need to make a plan to restore the child domain in case we need to. 

The DCs are all 2012 R2 and the FFL is 2008 R2 and DFLs are 2008 R2. 

What should I back up prior to demoting the last DC in that child domain? I realize this affects the forest, so I think I will have to do some kind of backup on both the child and forest right? Would a system state on both suffice or do I need bare metal recovery backups? 

thanks in advance!

Chris

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 9:36 PM

All replies

• > I have a task to decommission a child domain that is no longer in use. Before I plan to do this, I need to make a plan to restore the child domain in case we need to.

If you need to restore a child domain, this means Forest recovery :-) Tons of resources on that topic.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 9:21 AM
  • Thanks for responding, but really you provided me nothing more than saying "look on google". I already know I need to do a forest recovery. I was looking for a specific answer from someone that has gone through this type of restore before.

I will continue to research from other resources.

Friday, May 18, 2018 12:14 AM
  • > this type of restore before.

This "type of restore" is the same as every other. Forest means forest, so what you have already found applies.

Friday, May 18, 2018 7:35 AM