Easy way for security group owners to manage group membership without having to search for group RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, is there a way for group owners to manage group membership without having to search for the group in the query window?

I have allowed a particular user to manage group membership by adding them on the 'Managed By' tab on the group. If the user runs 'rundll32 dsquery OpenQueryWindow' they can then search for the group and manage the group membership, I'd rather not rely on users to remember group names to perform searches however.

Is there a way that the need to search can be bypassed and with group object window open straight away? Or is there another suitable solution that would allow a group owner to easily manage group membership?

Cheers,

Mark

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Mark,

You can do this with Adaxes AD Web Interface. Because it's customizable, you can limit what group owners can see once they log on to the web ui to just the groups they manage and give them only the tasks they need to execute (e.g. add/remove users to/from their groups): http://www.adaxes.com/active-directory_web-interface.htm

It's definitely a very easy way for the group owners to manage their groups as they can use their web browser (a very familiar tool) and have a very simple set of actions, so they can do only what they need to and nothing more.

Note, however, that Adaxes is a 3rd-party tool. But if you don't want a out-of-the-box solution, I still think that a custom web-form that you can develop yourself is the right way to go. 

• Proposed as answer by Jay Gu Friday, July 8, 2016 10:40 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jay Gu Friday, July 8, 2016 10:40 AM
    Wednesday, June 22, 2016 6:18 AM