none
[Solution] HP printer software on Hyper-V with missing USB support... RRS feed

• Question

• All,

I would like to share my (free!) solution for installing software on a Hyper-V guest, when that installer checks for usb support.

My problem was that I tried to install a HP printer and scan driver in a Windows XP guest, running on Windows 8 Hyper-V. The installation failed with a message that no USB hardware and drivers were found and setup could not continue...
    Duhhhh, I am trying to install it as a network printer/scanner, you HP morons!

After searching the web, I found various solutions. One of them was installing the Guest OS under VMWare Workstation, install the HP printer software (since VMWare workstation has USB support) and then migrate the VMWare guest to Hyper-V. I thought this was way too much work!

Then I stumbled on the KernelPro usb-over-ethernet solution. I downloaded the free client and installed it on the Windows XP guest under Hyper-V. I did not connect to any usb-over-ethernet server, as I do not have one. However, having the usb-over-ethernet client running, made the HP installer believe the Hyper-V guest had full USB support and happily installed the software.

Here you can find the free download for the KernelPro usb-over-ethernet client: http://www.usb-over-ethernet.com/download.html.

Kind regards,

Erik Cheizoo

excellence & Difference - the art of identity management
    http://www.XenD.nl

eXcellence & Difference - We keep your business running

Monday, January 28, 2013 2:45 PM

Answers

• Answered post often attract more attention, however we can’t mark initial posting as answer. So you may paste your solution in the following reply and mark it as answer

All,

I would like to share my (free!) solution for installing software on a Hyper-V guest, when that installer checks for usb support.

My problem was that I tried to install a HP printer and scan driver in a Windows XP guest, running on Windows 8 Hyper-V. The installation failed with a message that no USB hardware and drivers were found and setup could not continue...

After searching the web, I found various solutions. One of them was installing the Guest OS under VMWare Workstation, install the HP printer software (since VMWare workstation has USB support) and then migrate the VMWare guest to Hyper-V. I thought this was way too much work!

Then I stumbled on the KernelPro usb-over-ethernet solution. I downloaded the free client and installed it on the Windows XP guest under Hyper-V. I did not connect to any usb-over-ethernet server, as I do not have one. However, having the usb-over-ethernet client running, made the HP installer believe the Hyper-V guest had full USB support and happily installed the software.

Here you can find the free download for the KernelPro usb-over-ethernet client: http://www.usb-over-ethernet.com/download.html.

Kind regards,

Erik Cheizoo

• Marked as answer by Erik Cheizoo Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:38 AM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:38 AM

All replies

• This is very interesting! I gave up on that problem a while ago. I will have to test this when I have some free time. Thanks!
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:01 AM
  • Hi, Erik Cheizoo

Thanks very much for sharing your experience!

You experience and solution can help other community members who facing similar problems.

Thanks for your contribution to Windows Server Forum!

Answered post often attract more attention, however we can’t mark initial posting as answer. So you may paste your solution in the following reply and mark it as answer.

Have a nice day!

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:24 AM
  • Answered post often attract more attention, however we can’t mark initial posting as answer. So you may paste your solution in the following reply and mark it as answer

All,

Kind regards,

Erik Cheizoo

• Marked as answer by Erik Cheizoo Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:38 AM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 7:38 AM
  • It doesn´t work! I done every instruction three times with no results. Install program still waiting for conect device.
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:40 PM
  • Sry it doesn´t work! I have install it on a Win 7 Client and the Problem the same no USB Driver, I have restart the Win7 Client on the Hyper-V and the problem dont go away.
    Thursday, July 9, 2015 6:11 AM
  • Above solution does not appear to work is newer versions of Windows.

I have a solution that worked for me using a Win 10 LTSB Client under Hyper-V in Server 2016 with HP LaserJet MF2727n. Unpack the HP Full Solution Installer using 7-Zip then under the unpacked folder in the Setup Folder is an executable called USBReady.exe delete this file then go back to the root and run the Setup.exe. Installer will work normally and bypass the USB Check.

• Proposed as answer by FanCarolina Monday, July 16, 2018 9:45 PM
    • Edited by FanCarolina Monday, July 16, 2018 9:49 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2018 9:38 PM