none
Default Printer - GPO Issue

Question

• Hello Tech Gurus,

I've recently deployed a networked printer as a default printer for a certain group of computers.  I believe I've followed the instructions/process correctly.  When logging into the affected client, the subject printer properly appears.  However, it is not "checked" as the default.  I can provide a GP Results report as required.  Hope to hear from you all, thanks!

Friday, March 27, 2015 4:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, in the windows server 2003R2 Microsoft didn't integrate deploying default printer feature. You may achieve this by scripting solution.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Genkotsuya Wednesday, April 1, 2015 10:55 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 8:33 AM

All replies

• Did you set it using a GPP and selecting make default? http://blogs.technet.com/b/grouppolicy/archive/2009/06/24/gp-preferences-set-a-default-printer.aspx
    Saturday, March 28, 2015 9:51 AM
  • Sounds like you have either deployed it through "Computer Configuration" or not selected as default printer in the dialog.

Always a good idea to run group policy results wizard in the GPO snapin to prove new settings prior to deployment first.

Chris Golden

Saturday, March 28, 2015 11:43 AM
  • > the subject printer properly appears.  However, it is not "checked" as
    > the default.  I can provide a GP Results report as required.  Hope to

What "Action" did you select?

Greetings/Grüße, Martin

Mal ein gutes Buch über GPOs lesen?
    Good or bad GPOs? - my blog…
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment (-:
    Saturday, March 28, 2015 11:52 AM
  • Hello, and thanks for your reply.  Yes, in fact, when setting this up, I followed that exact link.
    Saturday, March 28, 2015 2:36 PM
  • Hello, and thanks for your reply.  I deployed it through both Computer and User Configuration and selected it as the default under User Configuration Preferences.  I did eventually run a results wizard but the results looked similar to an unsolved Rubic's Cube.
    Saturday, March 28, 2015 2:40 PM
  • Hello Martin,

I tried/tested them all.  Update, Create, Replace and Delete.  Both my primary and secondary domain controllers are running Windows Server 2003 R2.  My secondary domain controller, which is also my primary Print Server, is running in Hyper V on a physical Windows Server 2012 R2 host.  I'm using the GPMC on the Windows Server 2012 R2 host.  Could the root cause be because Windows Server 2003 R2 doesn't innately support Deployed Default Printers?

Saturday, March 28, 2015 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, in the windows server 2003R2 Microsoft didn't integrate deploying default printer feature. You may achieve this by scripting solution.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Genkotsuya Wednesday, April 1, 2015 10:55 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 8:33 AM
  • Hello Elaine,

I did some testing and established a Print Server on my Windows 2012 R2 server and then deployed a new printer from there.  It still didn't deploy as a default.  So I'm guessing the failure lies with the domain controller which users/clients authenticate through and not with the actual Print Server?  Also, where could I get a hold of such a script?  Thanks so much.

Monday, March 30, 2015 3:55 PM
  • Hi,

You can check below link for some reference regarding the script to set the default pinter.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd347648.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Wednesday, April 1, 2015 8:21 AM