Forefront uag high availability without array configuration RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Can we implement a load balancer solution (HLB) to 2 UAG servers  without Array deployment?

(It's a problem for me to join uag servers in a domain and add domain controllers in the DMZ).

Best regards,

David BUISSON

Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Amig@. Yes you can use an external HLB to load balance requests between two nodes but take into account that the array not only offers load balancing but also configuration replication. Not having an array means havinbf two independent servers that have to be configured and updated independently. By the way, you can have an array replicating configuration and still use an external HLB (is not mandatory to enable the integrated NLB in an array)

Sorry for the bad news :(

// Raúl - I love this game
    • Marked as answer by davidbuisson Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:26 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:15 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

Yes, you can. You will have to manage both UAG servers independently, by configuring each one of them, or exporting the configuration from one and importing it onto the seconds one, and then making the necessary adjustments (IP addresses).

Regards,

-Ran
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:13 PM
  • Hi, David

If you only need it for publishing internal applications you should be able to create two standalone UAG installations with similar trunk settings and then use your external loadbalancer to determine which UAG the client(s) should be connected to.

I assume you have read the below text regarding scenarios that require the UAG to be joined to a domain?

Forefront UAG must be a domain member in the following scenarios:
       1. If you want to add the server to an array of Forefront UAG servers at a later date.
       2. If you want to configure the server as a Forefront UAG DirectAccess server at a later date.
       3. If you want to deploy single sign on using Kerberos constrained delegation to forward session credentials to backend published servers requiring authentication.
       4. If you want to publish the File Access application via a Forefront UAG trunk.
       5. If you want to provide remote clients with access to the internal corporate network using SSTP.

Link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee428847.aspx

Best wishes,
    Jonas Blom

• Edited by Jonas Blom Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:15 PM wrong url
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:14 PM
  • Hi Amig@. Yes you can use an external HLB to load balance requests between two nodes but take into account that the array not only offers load balancing but also configuration replication. Not having an array means havinbf two independent servers that have to be configured and updated independently. By the way, you can have an array replicating configuration and still use an external HLB (is not mandatory to enable the integrated NLB in an array)

Sorry for the bad news :(

// Raúl - I love this game
    • Marked as answer by davidbuisson Thursday, August 11, 2011 4:26 PM
    Thursday, August 11, 2011 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you. I just need to UAG for publishing Exchange and SharePoint applications.

Best regards,

David

Thursday, August 11, 2011 3:43 PM