File System MP RRS feed

• Question

• I am having trouble trying to understand how to configure this MP. I am reading the install doc over and over again but I just can't wrap my head around how to configure the availability monitors for specific systems and folders/files. It has to be something simple I am not seeing?
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 1:37 PM

Answers

• To be honest I find this MP quite noisy and hard to control
    I would place it in preprod, tune it and then bring it into production
    The basis to the MP is that all the discoveries are disabled by default
    You then enable the discoveries as you require.

Paul

Paul Keely
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:09 PM

Paul

Paul Keely

I couldn't agree with Paul more on this one.  Had a customer engagement recently, and they were running this community "file system" management pack.  After some standard analysis of their environment, we found that this file system MP was causing the most noise in their environment.  I never did take a real close look at the MP.  Although the MP seemed like it might have some potential, we ended up writing a custom file system monitoring MP which met their needs much better and didn't include a bunch of unecessary discoveries and monitoring *they* didn't need.  We're all aware that there are some noisy vendor MP's out there, too, but we must be very careful when importing community MP's into our environments.  Even our lab's.  Because you never know exactly what a MP is going to do, especially if it's not from a trusted source without officially supported documentation.  If a community MP looks promising, don't be too eager import.  If you value your job, first open it up with MPViewer and/or the Authoring Console, and take a look at the discoveries and examine every script.  Make adjustments where necessary.  Or pick only the elements you're interested in, and toss the rest out the window.
    HTH, Jonathan Almquist - MSFT
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:44 AM

All replies

Paul

Paul Keely
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:09 PM
  • I understand the basis but I am finding it difficult for some reason to understand how to enable it just for the servers I need it on. Basically I am needing to monitor a specific text file on a system and alert if that file is not updated in a certain amount of time. Is there a better way to do this instead of using this MP? Thank you for your reply.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:45 PM
  • One approach that might work for you is to create a group. Populate the group with the servers that you want to run your check on. Then, override the workflow (discovery, rule, monitor, etc.) to enable it in the context of the group you just created. This should force the workflow to run only on your group of servers.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Hi there.  The MP may be overkill for this scenario.  If you just need to monitor a specific file on a system and alert if the file is not updated in a certain amount of time, you could use a script.  Here's an example of a script you can use with a monitor.

You could also use a script as a rule and write to the event log if the file is not updated.  You'd write another rule to look for that event to generate an alert.

Hope this helps,

Layne
    Tuesday, March 2, 2010 7:19 PM
  • Hi there.  The MP may be overkill for this scenario.  If you just need to monitor a specific file on a system and alert if the file is not updated in a certain amount of time, you could use a script.  Here's an example of a script you can use with a monitor.

You could also use a script as a rule and write to the event log if the file is not updated.  You'd write another rule to look for that event to generate an alert.

Hope this helps,

Layne

This sounds promising, I can't seem to get your provided link to work though? Thanks
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 1:20 PM
  • Where is this MP? Anyone know anything more about a management pack for this from Microsoft: http://www.techlog.org/archive/2010/01/23/file_services_management_pack???
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:17 PM
  • Strange, the link is working for me.

The File System MP can be found on System Center Central.  There may be other scripts for file age monitoring there as well.

http://www.systemcentercentral.com/tabid/62/tag/Downloads+Operations_Manager/Default.aspx
    Layne
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 5:34 PM
  • Strange, the link is working for me.

The File System MP can be found on System Center Central.  There may be other scripts for file age monitoring there as well.

http://www.systemcentercentral.com/tabid/62/tag/Downloads+Operations_Manager/Default.aspx
    Layne

I will have to try to get it from home as it must be getting blocked or something here at work. Frustrating...
    Thursday, March 4, 2010 2:07 PM
  • The File System MP is a community MP - wanted to call this out more clearly.  We love that the community of operations manager users share their solutions with each other - most problems are not unique to a given environment so this is a great way to extend and share solutions that work.

Microsoft Corporation
    Monday, March 8, 2010 5:03 PM
  • I don't have any problems accessing the link that Layne provided. Script and explanation look sound though I'd always advise using in a test environment first.

The only item you might want to change is that the script looks at days since the file changd:

DateDiff("d",objFile.DateLastModified,Now)

You can change this by changing the "d" to the required time interval as detailed below:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa258269(SQL.80).aspx

Cheers

Graham
    View OpsMgr tips and tricks at http://systemcentersolutions.wordpress.com/
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 8:13 AM
  • Yea, it is being blocked here at work and I still haven't had a chance to try it once I am at home. Something always comes up of course. I will try to get this script tonight.
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:19 PM

Paul

Paul Keely

I couldn't agree with Paul more on this one.  Had a customer engagement recently, and they were running this community "file system" management pack.  After some standard analysis of their environment, we found that this file system MP was causing the most noise in their environment.  I never did take a real close look at the MP.  Although the MP seemed like it might have some potential, we ended up writing a custom file system monitoring MP which met their needs much better and didn't include a bunch of unecessary discoveries and monitoring *they* didn't need.  We're all aware that there are some noisy vendor MP's out there, too, but we must be very careful when importing community MP's into our environments.  Even our lab's.  Because you never know exactly what a MP is going to do, especially if it's not from a trusted source without officially supported documentation.  If a community MP looks promising, don't be too eager import.  If you value your job, first open it up with MPViewer and/or the Authoring Console, and take a look at the discoveries and examine every script.  Make adjustments where necessary.  Or pick only the elements you're interested in, and toss the rest out the window.
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 3:44 AM
  • Thanks for some good pointers here.
    Paul Keely
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 9:15 AM
  • Marked some answers as best as I could.  Since this is a community management pack, I suggest spinning up a thread on the site where you downloaded the MP.

Thanks, and good luck!

Thursday, April 1, 2010 1:06 AM
  • I can help out with this MP if needed.

Thursday, April 1, 2010 10:53 AM
  • Hi Jamie,

Do u have an email address for questions?

Thx,

John Bradshaw

jDOTbradshawATunswDOTeduDOTau

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 12:56 AM