none
Exchange Connector 3.1 IsPrivate Checkbox set to Null when Analyst replies RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to troubleshoot an issue with Cireson (since we use their free Action Log Notify app) in our SCSM 2012 R2 UR7 environment with Exchange Connector v3.1.

Notifications with the app are working great both ways, but email replies to these notifications are only working one way:  when the affected user responds.  The assigned analyst will get a notification if the end user responds to an email.  However, if the assigned analyst responds to a notification (or sends a new email) it updates the ticket but the affected user does not get the notification.

Cireson said this is not an issue with their app.  Anyone else experiencing a similar problem?

Monday, January 11, 2016 7:25 PM

Answers

• I had a case open with Microsoft for quite a while regarding this.  They confirmed this is a bug with the Exchange Connector (v3.1) and weren't able to tell me whether or not the product team would actually implement a hotfix/patch for this since I was the only one that had reported it to them.

If you are experiencing this issue PLEASE open a case with them so we can get more traction on releasing a fix instead of doing the workaround that we did.

I ended up exporting the management pack that contained my notification subscription and modified the following code:

<Criteria>
                        <Expression>
                          <SimpleExpression>
                            <ValueExpression>
                              <Property State="Post">$Context/Property[Type='CustomSystem_WorkItem_Library!System.WorkItem.TroubleTicket.AnalystCommentLog']/IsPrivate$</Property>
                            </ValueExpression>
                            <Operator>Equal</Operator>
                            <ValueExpression>
                              <Value>False</Value>
                            </ValueExpression>
                          </SimpleExpression>
                        </Expression>
                      </Criteria>

To this:

<Criteria>
                        <Expression>
                          <SimpleExpression>
                            <ValueExpression>
                              <Property State="Post">$Context/Property[Type='CustomSystem_WorkItem_Library!System.WorkItem.TroubleTicket.AnalystCommentLog']/IsPrivate$</Property>
                            </ValueExpression>
                            <Operator>NotEqual</Operator>
                            <ValueExpression>
                              <Value>True</Value>
                            </ValueExpression>
                          </SimpleExpression>
                        </Expression>
                      </Criteria>

The downsides to this are:

1. In the SCSM console incident form, these comments are still showing a null value for the Private checkbox (as expected, since that is how the Exchange Connector is processing them.)
    2. In the GUI for the notification subscription properties, the criteria will show "[Trouble Ticket Analyst Comments] Is private equals True" (simply because there is no option in the GUI pulldown menu to choose NotEqual.  This could potentially confuse other SM admins looking through the GUI and thinking to themselves "Hey, that's not how this should be set!" and change it back, only to break the workflow.

After saving the changes, I imported the management pack and tested and verified that incidents being updated via email by an analyst was now sending out an email notification to the affected user, even though the private checkbox was being marked as Null.
    Monday, April 18, 2016 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hello Chris,

There is Send Email solution which can be used together with Exchange Connector. When you have both of them deployed and configured correctly you can enable the end-to-end lifecycle for emails around incident management.

I would like to suggest you go through the link below:

Just Released: Exchange Connector and Send Email Solution (Update on “Resource Kit”)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2011/01/07/exchange-connector-released.aspx

In addition, here is a MP XML which can send a notification to the affected user whenever the action log has an analyst comment added to it:

Notifying the Affected User When the Analyst Has Updated the Action Log

http://blogs.technet.com/b/servicemanager/archive/2010/08/30/notifying-the-affected-user-when-the-analyst-has-updated-the-action-log.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 18, 2016 2:22 AM
  • Hi Chris,

That's the way the Exchange Connector works. It just doesn't define a comment as private or not. So it's a common case. If you wish you can try our connector that doesn't have this issue but many advantages.

Cheers,
    Marat
    Site: www.scutils.com  Twitter: LinkedIn: Graveyard:

Monday, January 18, 2016 6:29 AM
  • Is there any reason why when I create a new Notification Template, and then go to create a new Notification Subscription, and browse to select which template to use, I'm not seeing the template I just created?  Even if I create a brand new template from the Subscription wizard it still doesn't show up.

This is maddening.

Monday, January 25, 2016 5:21 PM
  • Hello,

Sorry for the late reply. When you create a notification subscription, you are going to select what class of objects you are subscribing to.  Only notification templates that correspond to the selected subscription class can be used.  For example, let’s say you created a notification subscription for the Incident class – all created incidents that are Priority = High.  You will only be able to send notifications for this subscription using notification templates targeted at the Incident class. 

Regards,

Yan Li

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 1:29 AM
  • I had a case open with Microsoft for quite a while regarding this.  They confirmed this is a bug with the Exchange Connector (v3.1) and weren't able to tell me whether or not the product team would actually implement a hotfix/patch for this since I was the only one that had reported it to them.

If you are experiencing this issue PLEASE open a case with them so we can get more traction on releasing a fix instead of doing the workaround that we did.

I ended up exporting the management pack that contained my notification subscription and modified the following code:

<Criteria>
                        <Expression>
                          <SimpleExpression>
                            <ValueExpression>
                            </ValueExpression>
                            <Operator>Equal</Operator>
                            <ValueExpression>
                              <Value>False</Value>
                            </ValueExpression>
                          </SimpleExpression>
                        </Expression>
                      </Criteria>

To this:

<Criteria>
                        <Expression>
                          <SimpleExpression>
                            <ValueExpression>
                            </ValueExpression>
                            <Operator>NotEqual</Operator>
                            <ValueExpression>
                              <Value>True</Value>
                            </ValueExpression>
                          </SimpleExpression>
                        </Expression>
                      </Criteria>

The downsides to this are:

1. In the SCSM console incident form, these comments are still showing a null value for the Private checkbox (as expected, since that is how the Exchange Connector is processing them.)
    2. In the GUI for the notification subscription properties, the criteria will show "[Trouble Ticket Analyst Comments] Is private equals True" (simply because there is no option in the GUI pulldown menu to choose NotEqual.  This could potentially confuse other SM admins looking through the GUI and thinking to themselves "Hey, that's not how this should be set!" and change it back, only to break the workflow.

After saving the changes, I imported the management pack and tested and verified that incidents being updated via email by an analyst was now sending out an email notification to the affected user, even though the private checkbox was being marked as Null.
    Monday, April 18, 2016 4:32 PM