none
Secondary DPM questions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I tried to find an answer to this, but I couldn't find one. I have a DPM 2010 server. I am protecting about 1.5 TB of data. I have a secondary DPM server at a second site connected with a dedicated T-1. I would like to backup the first DPM server to this secondary DPM server. However, the initial sync would take forever. The first site has a tape drive, but the second site does not. So using tape isn't really an option. So my questions are:

1) Can I copy the primary DPM data to an external USB drive and import it on the secondary? If so, is there a page with this process outlined somewhere? 

2) If I can't do that, should I just bring the secondary DPM server into the office and do a local network sync and then take it back offsite? That is a pain, but is doable. Is there any issue with changing the IP address of the DPM server for this process or should I put it behind a router to preserve the current IP address?

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Matt

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:06 PM Moving to DPM DR Protection Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:00 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This link describes the process of doing a manual load. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809133.aspx

In your case, you probably want to run dpmbackup -replicas on the primary DPM server to create shadow copies of the replica volumes on the Primary DPM server, then copy the data from under the c:\program files\Microsoft dpm\dpm\volumes\shadow copy\...path

NOTE: The ... path can be be extraced by clicking on the "path to replica" link while highlighting a data source under the protection tab.

Once you copy the data to removable drive, you can ship it to the remote site and copy the data to the associated replica volume.  I would do one at a time and perform CC for one data source at a time to to be sure you copied it correctly.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This link describes the process of doing a manual load. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809133.aspx

In your case, you probably want to run dpmbackup -replicas on the primary DPM server to create shadow copies of the replica volumes on the Primary DPM server, then copy the data from under the c:\program files\Microsoft dpm\dpm\volumes\shadow copy\...path

NOTE: The ... path can be be extraced by clicking on the "path to replica" link while highlighting a data source under the protection tab.

Once you copy the data to removable drive, you can ship it to the remote site and copy the data to the associated replica volume.  I would do one at a time and perform CC for one data source at a time to to be sure you copied it correctly.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 1:48 AM
  •  

Thanks Mike!

Just an FYI, we didn't do that. We ended up bringing the secondary server onsite and changing the IP address to a local problem. Then we just synced across a gigabit switch. It worked great. Changing the IP address was not a problem at all. 

Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:27 PM