Application window opens in a different place on each run - why? RRS feed

• Question

• I am experiencing a strange problem with an application: every time it is run, its window appears in a different position on the screen. Specifically, it moves down and to the right. It is almost as if multiple instances of the application are being cascaded, but this happens with only one instance.

The program is the Moog Modular V, a software synthesiser by Arturia.

You can see a video of the behaviour here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4833381/MMV.mp4

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit at 1024x1280 resolution with a single LG 19" L1942PE monitor. My graphics card is a Radeon HD4870 with the latest Catalyst driver (11.9 at the time of writing). I get the same behaviour with Aero off, and the Windows Classic theme active. The behaviour is also the same if the "Run in" settings for the application are set to Normal Window, Maximised, or Minimised.

Searching the internet reveals no other reports of this behaviour with either this application, or any other!

I've reported the issue to the developers, but in the meantime I wondered whether anyone here recognises the behaviour and knows of a workaround or fix?

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 9:58 PM

Answers

• Update - this issue appears to be fixed in the latest beta of the application.
    • Marked as answer by yanini Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:55 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:55 PM

All replies

• Sir, I Suggest you to contact with Moog modular V Technical support here : http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/support/faq.html

Regards,

MCP | MCTS | MCITP
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 10:29 PM
  • As I mentioned in my original post, I've emailed the developers about this, and in the meantime am asking to see if anyone recognises this unusual behaviour with any other applications.
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 10:33 PM
  • Hi,

You can check if it is a third party confliction.

Clean Boot

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Use ShellExView to check third party extension

-------------------------------------------------------------------

1.     Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

2.     Right-click the "shexview.zip" file, select "Extract All", the Extraction Wizard will prompt.

3.     Click Next, input "C:\ShellExView" (without the quotation marks) in the "Files will be extracted to this directory" textbox.

4.     Click Next and click Finnish.

5.     Open the "C:\ShellExView" folder and double-click the "shexview.exe" file. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.

6.     Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.

7.     Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.

8.     Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

If the issue occurs after installing the application, you should contact Moog modular V support

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 5:53 AM
  • Thanks for the response.

I tried both tests that you suggested -- clean booting with no third party startup items or services, and disabling shell extensions -- but unfortunately neither stopped the window behaviour.

I hope to hear back soon from product support. If there is a solution I will also post it here.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 12:12 PM
  • Update - this issue appears to be fixed in the latest beta of the application.
    • Marked as answer by yanini Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:55 PM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2011 9:55 PM