none
Fim - Managing Group Membership in the User-RCDC in the portal RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

our client would like to be able to manage the group memberships of each user via the user view in the portal. The goal is to have something like a listview with checkboxes for every entry, listing all the available groups and beeing able the add or remove a group membership by changing the corresponding checkbox.

Well, I'm a little lost here. I've found some tutorials that describe how to add a new tab to the user RCDC, that lists all the groups the user is a member of. But as I said, I need to take it some steps further.

My idea is to add a "memberOf" attribute to the person object in the MV and then use a request based workflow, that gets triggered when the "memberOf" attribute changes and then adjusts the group memberships accordingly.

Would that approach be valid (i.e. could it work) or are there better (easier) ways to achieve that?

If that's the way to go, I would be interested in how you guys would try to get the "memberOf" AD-attribute imported to the MV. I was trying to use an LDIF-MA but it doesn't work yet.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thx

Monday, June 3, 2013 9:35 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your reply. The conflicts you mention are no problem, the feature is not supposed to be used from regular users but from admins.

I've managed to get the LDIF import to work. Now I'm struggeling on how to modify the RCDC. I need to have some kind of listbox with a checkbox for each entry. The list should contain all groups and the checkboxes should be bound to the new "memberOf" attribute (i.e. checking/unchecking a checkbox will add/remove the corresponding group to the memberOf attribute).

Any ideas, hints, links on how to that? Or an example an how to make a listbox with checkboxes? Couldn't find anything yet.

Thx alot!

• Marked as answer by TS007 Thursday, June 6, 2013 8:59 AM
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 8:00 AM

All replies

• It will work, few problems which may occur is actually that if two users will edit this attribute at the same time they might see some other values in there (one user submits the request with a group - before your workflow will pick it up, process and clean it, other user will open user properties so he will see what the previous user has put in there). Otherwise than that it will work - I did it once in the same way. 

Other way to go is to build custom UI for that which works on a FIM web service directly. 

Tomek Onyszko, memberOf Predica FIM Team (http://www.predica.pl), IdAM knowledge provider @ http://blog.predica.pl

Monday, June 3, 2013 12:21 PM
  • Thanks for your reply. The conflicts you mention are no problem, the feature is not supposed to be used from regular users but from admins.

I've managed to get the LDIF import to work. Now I'm struggeling on how to modify the RCDC. I need to have some kind of listbox with a checkbox for each entry. The list should contain all groups and the checkboxes should be bound to the new "memberOf" attribute (i.e. checking/unchecking a checkbox will add/remove the corresponding group to the memberOf attribute).

Any ideas, hints, links on how to that? Or an example an how to make a listbox with checkboxes? Couldn't find anything yet.

Thx alot!

• Marked as answer by TS007 Thursday, June 6, 2013 8:59 AM
    Thursday, June 6, 2013 8:00 AM
  • Found it!

In case someone else is interested: http://blog.msresource.net/2011/10/07/the-use-of-the-uoclistviewcontrol-for-editing-multi-value-reference-attributes/

Thursday, June 6, 2013 8:58 AM