Why can i not remove microsoft edge ? RRS feed

• Question

• Suddenly i get this update and it installs microsoft edge on my pc , I dont unsterstand nor do i see the reason why i should get this on my pc and use it.

So why am i forced to get this on my pc and i cannot even uninstall it ??

Is it not better to let people choose them self if they want this or not ? same goes for others apps.
    like groove music or microsoft cards or any other stuff most people dont even use?
    Tuesday, June 16, 2020 6:19 AM

All replies

• Hello,

AFAIK, it is not possible to completely uninstall Microsoft Edge as the browser is integrated with the operating system. 

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Tuesday, June 16, 2020 1:09 PM
  • Hi,

Kapil said correct. It is not possible to remove Microsoft Edge completely. But we could try to use Edge for Chromium for a better experience. Then Edge will be replaced with Edge Chromium. 

Also we could try the following measure to remove Edge with PowerShell, but it will reinstall automatically after Reset, Recovery, or feature update. 

Run PowerShell as an administrator and run the following command:

Get-AppxPackage

This will show you a list of all installed Apps and Core features for Windows 10. Scroll down until find Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge. Copy the full package name, and run the following command line. (replace package name with yours.)

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_20.10240.16384.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe | Remove-AppxPackage

or

Get-AppxPackage  *edge* | Remove-AppxPackage

This should remove the app.

Alternatively, you can navigate to the Windows Apps install location:

C:\Windows\SystemApps\

And right-click the Microsoft Edge folder, Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe, and select Properties, where you can set the folder and all its contents to “Read-Only" (make sure the checkbox shows a checkmark, not a square). This will prevent Windows from making changes to the folder.

Then, you can open the folder and rename the Microsoft Edge executables (MicrosoftEdge.exe and MicrosoftEdgeCP.exe) and/or delete them.

Bests, 

" Please note that new questions regarding ‘Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment’ could NOT be posted in this forum anymore. This thread could be followed up until Mar-30th. We will be moving your thread to Microsoft Q&A if the deadline is missed. Register our new platform Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! for new questions or discussion. Check more details on sticky post.

• Proposed as answer by Joy-Qiao Monday, June 22, 2020 9:25 AM
    Wednesday, June 17, 2020 2:14 AM
  • Hi, 

Any update?

Bests, 

" Please note that new questions regarding ‘Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment’ could NOT be posted in this forum anymore. This thread could be followed up until Mar-30th. We will be moving your thread to Microsoft Q&A if the deadline is missed. Register our new platform Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! for new questions or discussion. Check more details on sticky post.

Monday, June 22, 2020 9:25 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? 

I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.

Bests,

Friday, June 26, 2020 7:46 AM