• Question

• Hi, any body can help me to find out this error message: 

The error that the other server returned was:
    550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

in hotmail account

thanks for help 

Sunday, April 27, 2014 4:31 PM

Answers

• Most frequently that error indicates that the email address is either incorrect or no longer exists. Are you certain that it's valid and is one you've been able to send to previously?

I've also seen some reports where it can be indicating an issue delivering to Hotmail in general, normally because they're blocking email from your mail server for some reason, most likely if it's been blacklisted for some reason.

In addition to those two lines of information, did you get any other error codes? If you're being blocked you quite often get additional codes which indicate the reason for the block. See http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx for the table of all of them.

Sunday, April 27, 2014 5:06 PM

All replies

• Most frequently that error indicates that the email address is either incorrect or no longer exists. Are you certain that it's valid and is one you've been able to send to previously?

I've also seen some reports where it can be indicating an issue delivering to Hotmail in general, normally because they're blocking email from your mail server for some reason, most likely if it's been blacklisted for some reason.

In addition to those two lines of information, did you get any other error codes? If you're being blocked you quite often get additional codes which indicate the reason for the block. See http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx for the table of all of them.

Sunday, April 27, 2014 5:06 PM
  • Hi,

According to the description, I found that 500 error occur when send to Hotmail account. Please correct me if there is any misunderstanding.

This issue seems related to the Hotmail account. Please apply a new Hotmail account for testing.

Also try to send to Gmail or other email accounts to verify whether the same issue existed.

If this issue only occur in Hotmail account, I suggest following mail.live.com (Link that Keith provided) troubleshooting to check the error.

Thanks

Mavis

Mavis Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 30, 2014 3:02 AM