Logitech VX wireless mouse USB problem. Please Help! RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a Logitech VX wireless laser mouse, and it does not work on my Sony Vaio FJ180P with Vista. When I plug in the usb receiver it could not install the driver for it. I know the USB port isn't bad because I can still use my microsoft mouse. I've tried to plugged the VX into my desktop and it was immediately recognized and installed the driver ok. Also, If I use my Ubuntu OS on the Vaio, it works ok. I have no idea what's going on, and I'm about to reinstall Windows Vista.

Does anyone know what this mean? My Vaio originally came with Windows XP if this help.
    Tuesday, January 1, 2008 1:23 AM

Answers

•  

Hello,

Thanks for your post!

Generally, this kind of issues are caused by incorrect or legacy drivers. Therefore, I performed a search for you in Logitech website and found the following page:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/428/165&cl=us,en

Please note the upgrading to Vista section.

Also, I note that this mouse requires Internet connection when used in Windows Vista, as the following page:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/notebook_products/mice/devices/165&cl=us,en

So please also keep internet connected when plug this mouse into USB port.

I hope the information above may help you.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, January 4, 2008 10:01 AM
  •  

I have got almost the same problem!

VX revolution mouse, USB reciver plugged in but not recognized by either the logitech drivers or MS HID drivers...

The mouse works great on the same machine but running Ubuntu and on other machines. (I got a Dell)

I borrowed a similar mouse (one model lower) from a friend and it's not working either.

I have tried Clean booting winXP with no luck.

I am constantly connected to the internet with the newest version of SetPoint.

All usb ports are operational.

any clues?

SOLVED:

for WinXP (i reckon for Vista would be similar)

1. unplug your USB Reciever

2. Start>Search>usb.inf

>input.inf

In XP these are initially in C:\I386

3. Copy these files to C:\Windows\inf

4. Plug in the USB reciver.

5. Enjoy your mouse!

just a footnote... why we pay for all the software and hardware when the best support comes for free from other usres? Geez! Both Logitech and Microsoft are hopeless when it comes to Comunnity Support!!1

Google google google that's how I found it!

Friday, January 4, 2008 9:25 PM

All replies

•  

Hello,

Thanks for your post!

Generally, this kind of issues are caused by incorrect or legacy drivers. Therefore, I performed a search for you in Logitech website and found the following page:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/428/165&cl=us,en

Please note the upgrading to Vista section.

Also, I note that this mouse requires Internet connection when used in Windows Vista, as the following page:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/notebook_products/mice/devices/165&cl=us,en

So please also keep internet connected when plug this mouse into USB port.

I hope the information above may help you.

Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Friday, January 4, 2008 10:01 AM
  •  

I have got almost the same problem!

VX revolution mouse, USB reciver plugged in but not recognized by either the logitech drivers or MS HID drivers...

The mouse works great on the same machine but running Ubuntu and on other machines. (I got a Dell)

I borrowed a similar mouse (one model lower) from a friend and it's not working either.

I have tried Clean booting winXP with no luck.

I am constantly connected to the internet with the newest version of SetPoint.

All usb ports are operational.

any clues?

SOLVED:

for WinXP (i reckon for Vista would be similar)

1. unplug your USB Reciever

2. Start>Search>usb.inf

>input.inf

In XP these are initially in C:\I386

3. Copy these files to C:\Windows\inf

4. Plug in the USB reciver.

5. Enjoy your mouse!

just a footnote... why we pay for all the software and hardware when the best support comes for free from other usres? Geez! Both Logitech and Microsoft are hopeless when it comes to Comunnity Support!!1

Google google google that's how I found it!

Friday, January 4, 2008 9:25 PM
  • Thanks, nasov. Worked for me.

However I didn't have usb.inf anywhere on my machine so I had to (re)create it using this file:
    http://www.infdump.com/download-inf-files_new.php/inffiles/U/USB.INF/5.1.2600.0/download.html
    Saturday, January 5, 2008 4:43 PM
  • Thanks so much nasov!

Work for me: Sony Vaio VGN-SZ, WinXP

Much agree with your footnote.

It took me an hour search on Microsoft KB, an hour search on Logitech and an hour search and chat with Sony Vaio tech ...then an hour to get here.

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:17 AM