Adobe Flash Player Updates RRS feed

• Question

• We're running SCCM 2012 RTM and have created an application for Adobe Flash player and have deployed it to our desktops as a required application.

It has a MSI GUID of: {3F67CDB0-824E-435E-BE14-D7BCA8256E3E}

Now Adobe have released version 11.5.... and as it is an MSI rather than MSP it uninstalls the previous version and installs the new one.

I have used SCUP to get the update, imported into SCCM and deployed to desktops. This bit works like it should.

When the machine does a policy retrieval it then realises that the original version of flash is no longer installed and tries to reinstall and subsequently fails due to a newer version.

Do I have to create a new application every time an update comes through for flash or am I missing a trick??

I could change the original application to use the latest MSI but that seems stupid...

Friday, November 9, 2012 4:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• You could add the new msi GUID as an additional detection method to the existing application. Or don't use SCUP, but use application supersedence.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Friday, November 9, 2012 5:32 PM
  • Yes, a new app/package and make sure the old one i expired (if using SCUP).

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund | Mastering ConfigMgr 2012 The Fundamentals

Friday, November 9, 2012 5:49 PM
  • Hi,

What method did you actually go for here?  I've got the same issue here with Flash and Reader.  I prefer to patch via SCUP as this is faster, I am thinking I migth just add the new GUID to the detection method if it changes as I don't really want to be creating a new application and superceding every time Adobe updates Flash.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:24 AM
  • Hi

In the end I used SCUP to download the files for me and then created a new application each new version with supersedence over the previous version. It is a pain but it's usually only 4 times a year! My suggestion is make sure you document how to do it - it's really easy to forget what you did 3 months prior!

If only they used MSP files like Adobe Reader!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:31 AM
  • Thanks,

So I think I will stick with SCUP for Reader then move to using supercedence for Flash, I have to deploy every flash update ASAP so could be a bit of a pain!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:33 AM
  • You only need to apply the latest MSI, not every prior version.

Also use different deployment types with requirements for different OSs. So we have 1 application called Adobe Flash 11.xxx with a couple of different deployment types.

Also if you're using Firefox remember to deploy the plug-in not just the Active X

And... IE10 has Flash baked in so no need to deploy ActiveX updates to Windows 8/2012 machines - just plugin if appropriate.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 9:37 AM
  • So are you creating a whole new application everytime you want to update flash, retiring the old version, deploying the new version to all devices with supercedence configured?  Are you then clearing out the old versions from the database?

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 10:38 AM
  • Yup. Pain the proverbial but keeps things tidy. I actually retire the previous versions and move them to a sub-folder in Applications. That way roll-back is quite easy if necessary.

Also don't delete the previously installed versions of the MSI - I found a couple of client machines that wouldn't update so I had to use the old MSI to repair the install then they would accept the latest version.

If there's a better way I'm open to suggestions!!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 10:41 AM