problem setting up cisco router RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I recently bought a new cisco linksys wag120n wireless router. I have got a WAN internet connection at my place where the ISP has provided an ethernet cable directly to plug in the computer. I have also got the MAC address registered with the ISP. Tried almost all possible setting options but to no avail. The internet didnt worked even once. In a simple language the router should connect to the internet, but its not happening. Its not able to do so and when i troubleshoot the problem from the Network & Sharing Center the error messages displayed are "DNS server isnt responding" or "DHCP is not enabled"

Kindly help...

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You need to talk to your ISP and ask how you can share your Internet connection.

If you registered your computer's MAC address with ISP, then it probably means that you cannot use any other computer or network device (including liksys router), except the one that is registered with ISP.

IOW, talk to your ISP to register your router's MAC address. You will probably have to set up your router in "bridge mode". That also means that you will have to register with your ISP, MAC addresses of other devices that will connect to your router.

• Proposed as answer by tracycai Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:19 AM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:46 PM
  • 

Hi, I have found some setup info on the Internet. I hope you will find it helpfull.
    http://vanilla.co.za/setup_adsl_linksys_wag120n.php

At the bottom of the page, you can see that two DNS settings are populated.

If they are not, you may need to enter them manually. Ask your ISP which DNS entries you should use. It is typical to configure two DNS entries.

• Proposed as answer by tracycai Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:39 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You need to talk to your ISP and ask how you can share your Internet connection.

If you registered your computer's MAC address with ISP, then it probably means that you cannot use any other computer or network device (including liksys router), except the one that is registered with ISP.

IOW, talk to your ISP to register your router's MAC address. You will probably have to set up your router in "bridge mode". That also means that you will have to register with your ISP, MAC addresses of other devices that will connect to your router.

• Proposed as answer by tracycai Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:25 AM
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:46 PM
  • Thanks. 

I already have registered the routers MAC address with the ISP. Also tried MAC cloning. I dont think its the problem with the MAC anymore. Just something wrong with the Basic setup for WAN connection. The error always is DNS server isnt responding.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:09 AM
  • 

Hi, I have found some setup info on the Internet. I hope you will find it helpfull.
    http://vanilla.co.za/setup_adsl_linksys_wag120n.php

At the bottom of the page, you can see that two DNS settings are populated.

If they are not, you may need to enter them manually. Ask your ISP which DNS entries you should use. It is typical to configure two DNS entries.

• Proposed as answer by tracycai Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:39 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:09 AM