none
USB gpo

Question

• Hello,

I have a Windows Server 2012 R2.

I have configured the Group Policy on it to block the usage of USB - Storage Devices through User Configuration.

Although the GPO used to work it doesn't anymore and the users now have access to their USB's. Any suggestions? 

My clients used to have Windows Vista but now they have Windows 7. In case you find this helpful.

• Edited by Terry85 Thursday, December 31, 2015 9:19 AM
    Thursday, December 31, 2015 8:30 AM

All replies

• Although the GPO used to work it doesn't anymore and the users now have access to their USB's. Any suggestions? 

So it is a recently happened issue, have you ever made any changes on the server/group policy side? Does this affect all of the users or just some?

First try to run "Gpresult /h C:\result.html" and see if the policy setting was applied successfully. It's a setting under User Configuration, switching to Windows 7 should not make a difference here.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, January 01, 2016 3:26 AM
  • It should work with Vista also without any problem. you might be make some mistake.

cross check your policy with this article .

http://microsoftvm.blogspot.in/2015/07/blocking-usb-devices-and-removable-media.html

• Edited by Blog.Patel Friday, January 01, 2016 3:56 AM
    Friday, January 01, 2016 3:56 AM
  • i try to run "Gpresult /h C:\result.html" for a specified user as you said but it gives me the error "the RPC server is unavailable". if i apply the GPO through the Computer Configuration it works, but i don't  want to do this. It must be a restriction for the specified users and not PCs.  
    • Edited by Terry85 Monday, January 04, 2016 10:29 AM
    Monday, January 04, 2016 9:56 AM