none
What to do with "Untrusted Publishers" listed on the Untrusted Publishers Tab in IE9 > Internet Options? Why are they listed? RRS feed

• Question

• What should I do with "Untrusted" or "Fraudulent Publishers" listed in IE9 Internet Options > Content Tab > Publsihers button > Untrusted Publishers Tab? If these entities are listed merely as a cautionary list, is there a way to block them? Are they listed because they attempted to run code on the PC and were identified? Information appreciated.
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 3:49 AM

Answers

• Hi,

you should do nothing with this list.
    The list of "Untrusted Publishers" is provided by Microsoft to your computer, so that your computer will warn you/reject all of those listed publishers, this will prevent your computer being compromised should you browse to a compromised website.
    The presence of these does not mean that you have visited a compromised site, it is a pre-emptive protection.
    If you remove these from your computer, your computer will be at risk. It is essentially a list of "known bad guys", "suspected bad guys" or "compromised good guys". If you remove the list, your computer no longer has a "known bad guy" list.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, March 31, 2013 4:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

you should do nothing with this list.
    The list of "Untrusted Publishers" is provided by Microsoft to your computer, so that your computer will warn you/reject all of those listed publishers, this will prevent your computer being compromised should you browse to a compromised website.
    The presence of these does not mean that you have visited a compromised site, it is a pre-emptive protection.
    If you remove these from your computer, your computer will be at risk. It is essentially a list of "known bad guys", "suspected bad guys" or "compromised good guys". If you remove the list, your computer no longer has a "known bad guy" list.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Sunday, March 31, 2013 4:48 AM
  • Thank-you, Don. This answered my question and helped me know what to do with the Untrusted Publishers list. I left it as is, because I suspected that might be the case, but you are the first person to confirm that the list is provided by Microsoft to help protect your computer. Thank-you for your prompt reply to my question.

Electongal

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:17 PM