Is There A Way To Transfer, Print, or Cut and Paste My Folder Song List To Another File Or Place RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to transfer, print, or cut and paste my entire song list into a word or pdf document so I may transfer the list to others??

I have tried unsuccessfully to highlight groups of song titles for simple print or cut and past.  I believe Windows 98 allowed me to do this.  I hadn't worked very long with Vista before the Windows 7 upgrade was plugged in.  Had I known Windows 7 would be so difficult in some of it's tasks, I would have stayed with Vista.

I tried to copy the list to Microsoft Word.  NO GO.  I tried to cut and paste.  NO GO.  I can take a snap shot of the page and save it as a picture, but that doesn't do me any good.

Any help out there??

Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There are several workarounds for this issue:

Method 1:

We can use the PowerShell which Cschaar stated. But the commands should be modified as below:

get-childitem -include *.mp3, *.wma -recurse -force | Out-File c:\songs.txt

Note: it just include the extension name with .mp3 and *.wma. If there are the other extension names for the music, you need to add them in the commands. We can tack on the -include parameter, specifying more than one file types: *.mp3 and *.wma. (And separating the file types using a comma). Also, some special system folders, such as System Volume Information cannot be accessed by the commands. In addition, we need to use CD command to refer to other drives. For example, if we want to scan the Drive E, we need to run CD E:\.

After that, please go to c:\songs.txt to obtain the name list which you want.

Method 2:

We can go to create a new playlists and add all the music in your library to this new playlist. After that, go to locate the new playlist file and open it with notepad.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Sabrina

Friday, July 30, 2010 8:37 AM

All replies

• Ickerus,

Assuming you're file structure is as such c:\songs\artist1\

Why can't you use PowerShell to dump the item names inside that directory & others and pipe it to a .txt or .xls file?

Get-ChildItem | Out-File c:\songs.txt

get-childitem . -include *.mp3 -recurse -force

This command retrieves all of the .mp3 files in the current directory and its subdirectories. The dot (.) represents the current directory and the Include parameter specifies the file name extension. The Recurse parameter directs Windows PowerShell to retrieve objects recursively, and it indicates that the subject of the command is the specified directory and its contents. The force parameter adds hidden files to the display.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 2:40 PM
  • Hi,

There are several workarounds for this issue:

Method 1:

We can use the PowerShell which Cschaar stated. But the commands should be modified as below:

get-childitem -include *.mp3, *.wma -recurse -force | Out-File c:\songs.txt

Note: it just include the extension name with .mp3 and *.wma. If there are the other extension names for the music, you need to add them in the commands. We can tack on the -include parameter, specifying more than one file types: *.mp3 and *.wma. (And separating the file types using a comma). Also, some special system folders, such as System Volume Information cannot be accessed by the commands. In addition, we need to use CD command to refer to other drives. For example, if we want to scan the Drive E, we need to run CD E:\.

After that, please go to c:\songs.txt to obtain the name list which you want.

Method 2:

We can go to create a new playlists and add all the music in your library to this new playlist. After that, go to locate the new playlist file and open it with notepad.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Sabrina

Friday, July 30, 2010 8:37 AM