DHCP Services Blocked by the Firewall RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I installed Windows Vista Server last week. This machine host the DHCP services. I realize that my clients cannot get any IP address.

After investigating, I concluded that it was the vista firewall that was blocking the requests.

So here is my configuration :

• One network interface connected to Internet (mark as public)
    • One network interface that is connected to my intranet (I mark it as private)
    • DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) is allowed in "Inbound rules" of the firewall

I can get an IP from my DHCP only if I change the state of the public profil in "Windows Firewall with advanced security properties" with Allow for inbound connections.

Any help ?

Thank you

Sunday, October 29, 2006 9:22 AM

Answers

All replies

• Comments 

1. Vista Server ?

2. Vista is a desktop, not server os.  There is no DHCP server built-in to Vista, there is a DHCP client.

2. There is no need to change the firewall for vista to get a dhcp address 

Sunday, October 29, 2006 3:07 PM
  • 1. and 2. Vista Server (Longhorn Server) exists ...
    Sunday, October 29, 2006 5:26 PM
  • what build of longhorn are you using?

I have not had a issue with the firewall and dhcp on any VIsta builds

Sunday, October 29, 2006 11:34 PM
  • I use the RC1 (I'll give you the build number later if needed because I don't have access to the server from where I am).

Just a precision, I don't think it is an issue but just a configuration problem.

Monday, October 30, 2006 11:57 AM
  • RC1 is a Vista desktop build there is no dhcp server only a client.

What the dhcp server that is offering address to client computers

Monday, October 30, 2006 1:24 PM
  • The build is the 5600
    Tuesday, October 31, 2006 8:24 AM
  • so you are using vista as a server ?

All Vista builds are client not server builds and have no builtin dhcp server.

so what are using as your dhcp server ?>\

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 11:39 AM
  • I don't know if you are joking or what ...

Go see this link : http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,2180,2015214,00.asp

And please, if you don't know that there is a Vista Server (or Longhorn Server, call it as you want) so you cannot help me.

I'll try to ask somewhere else ...

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 9:58 PM
  • Sorry but thats longhorn server beta 5600, not vista beta 5600 there is a difference. As for Longhorn beta dhcp server issues

I would tell you to post you question to http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=582&SiteID=17 (the longhorn server support forums)

Wednesday, November 1, 2006 12:37 PM
  • OK thank you JayTF,

I'll post overthere.

Wednesday, November 1, 2006 9:43 PM