none
project professional 2010: earned value over time report returns wrong values when using physical % complete RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there a microsoft project visual earned value over time report tutorial? I've been searching for one but can't find any. I have some knowledge about the earned value over time report but I have a problem I can't resolve and thats why I need the tutorial. My problem is that when I use the physical % complete as the earned value method and after populating the physical % complete with values, the earned value over time report shows a straight horizontal line as the earned value in the graphical report! I can't find what the problem is. I have all the requirements to generate a earned value report such as a baseline, costed resources assigned to tasks, a WBS, progress, a status date, etc...  Any help or reference to a microsoft project earned value over time report is much appreciated.

Thanks,
    George

• Edited by geo_d Friday, October 14, 2011 8:09 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 7:29 AM

Answers

• Hi George,

Just a few more points in this process.  I happen to be working at a client site and tested the scenario - incorrect BCWP showing on the assignment line when using Physical % complete -- and it predates Project 2010.  I see the exact issue in Project 2003.  When using Physical % complete, the assignment line data is incorrect.  I don't believe it was as much of an issue in 2003 because Visual Reports did not show up until 2007 release.

In Project 2010 (and 2003) working with % Complete works fine -- the issue appears to be the calculation using Physical % complete.

I don't have a 2007 machine available to test -- but I'd wager the issue occurs there as well.

So, likely not what you wanted to hear -- and I'll keep you posted if I discover more.  But, so far, I think we can say that the Earned Value Over Time report does not function when using Physical % complete data.  it does appear to work fine when using % complete.

Julie

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:49 PM

All replies

• Hi George,

Do you see values for Earned value in either the Resource usage or task Usage view?

Julie

Monday, August 15, 2011 10:45 AM
  • Hi Julie,

I think the problem is that the BCWP is being calculated as a constant too in the resource usage report. Please check this image 

and inform me of your findings. Please note that some values in the image are exagerated in order to spot any differences easliy.

Thanks,
    George
    Monday, August 15, 2011 11:11 AM
  • Hi George,

I see the exact same issue in a brand new file.  The BCWP value on the assignment lines is constant (incorrectly) and Project is plotting the assignment cube.  I am going to try another track here and see if I can come up with scenarios where this works.

Monday, August 15, 2011 6:05 PM
  • Hi Julie,

Thanks for the help. Im glad to hear someone else has seen the exact same issue. I'll be waiting for your input if you find a solution to the problem.

Thanks,
    George

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:22 AM
  • Hello George,

Sorry to interrupt, I guess this is the same issue with the one here at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/2907b2ad-0645-49e6-8baa-29617e760b0e/#2d55299f-5632-4428-a67f-df08706c4a44

I don't want to jump into conclusion that there is a bug in the software. After I type in zero values and then the original values back in each Physical % Complete cell for subtasks, Project calculates the correct values. 

Even if I am able to get the right data on the table, it is flat on the graph. I used a third party software to plot the curve and it worked, the curve looks like what it is supposed to be. It seems we have a two part issue here.

Anyway, I believe Julie will clarify the issue. Let's wait...

Regards. --Ismet
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:34 AM
  • Hello Ismet,

Thanks for your input. Yes this is the same issue as the one in the forum thread you have pasted the link of. I am the owner of both threads and I am tackling the same issue in both. I decided to open this new thread since I wasn't able to solve the issue from the previous thread suggestions.

I'm not sure what you mean by project calculates the correct values when you re-enter the physical % complete values. Do you mean the physical % complete of the summary tasks is calculated correctly or the earned value? If it is the physical % complete, then this is not relevant here since I already have the physical % complete of the summary tasks calculated correctly. In case you mean that the earned value is calculated correctly after re-entering the physical % complete, then I'm not able to reproduce the same result. Actually and to my surprise, after re-entering the physical % complete values, I obtain zeros for the actual cost in the earned value over time report while the values are correct in the timephased field!! But lets now concentrate on solving the earned value issue and forget about the actual cost.

Thanks again,
    George

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 7:50 AM
  • Hello again,

I mean EV data. Anyway, I'll wait for Julie's post.

Regards. --Ismet
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 8:08 AM
  • Hi George,

Thanks for you patience.  I am still trying to work this through with other MVPs.  I'll keep you posted.

Julie

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 11:56 AM
  • Hi George,

Just a few more points in this process.  I happen to be working at a client site and tested the scenario - incorrect BCWP showing on the assignment line when using Physical % complete -- and it predates Project 2010.  I see the exact issue in Project 2003.  When using Physical % complete, the assignment line data is incorrect.  I don't believe it was as much of an issue in 2003 because Visual Reports did not show up until 2007 release.

In Project 2010 (and 2003) working with % Complete works fine -- the issue appears to be the calculation using Physical % complete.

I don't have a 2007 machine available to test -- but I'd wager the issue occurs there as well.

So, likely not what you wanted to hear -- and I'll keep you posted if I discover more.  But, so far, I think we can say that the Earned Value Over Time report does not function when using Physical % complete data.  it does appear to work fine when using % complete.

Julie

Tuesday, August 16, 2011 5:49 PM
  • Hi Julie, Thanks for your help and effort! Much appreciated! I'll be waiting for any updates you come across regarding this issue. Thanks, George
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 5:22 AM
  • Hi Julie,

Just want to know if you were able to solve this issue.

Thanks,
    George

Friday, October 14, 2011 8:07 AM
  • Hi George,

I'm afraid I lack the ability to "solve" this issue.  It is a bug in how project calculates BCWP when using Physical % complete.  I know it is being investigated by the Project team -- but I'm afraid I can't tell you any further news as I don't have any.

I suggest keep on top of the most recent fixes through the Update center on TechNet:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/ee748587.aspx

Sorry, I wish I had better news.

Julie

Friday, October 14, 2011 12:16 PM
  • The resource usage views do not calculate EV measures correctly. As I demonstrate in another thread (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/projectprofessional2010general/thread/db079293-f07f-4716-8cf8-14be836abcac) the issue is even worse than you imagine. Merely moving a cursor into or out of a cell in the resource usage view can change the calculated EV measures.

In my experience, NEVER try to export EV data or generate a report for EV from Project. It ONLY lets you export the corrupt data from the resource usage view. 

A workaround is to copy and paste the data from the task usage view into Excel and make your EV over time chart there. The task usage calculations are correct, but this, or VBA macros, are the only way to export this data.

If you copy and paste into an Excel sheet that produces the EV-over-time chart, make sure to always show the same outline levels and same time-phased fields before copying and pasting. 

Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:04 AM
  • Hi Julie,   any development on this front?   We depend heavily on Physical % Complete and are running into the issue as well on an enterprise scale.

Thanks,

JT

Monday, March 26, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Hi Spinnaker 1,

I have Project 2010 with SP-1 installed and I still same the same issue.  BCWP is incorrectly calculated on the assignment line when using Physical % Complete and the assignment data is what Project uses for the Earned Value Over Time report.  Sorry I don't have any further news to report.

Monday, March 26, 2012 7:39 PM