PA Solution for Lync w/ Enterprise Voice RRS feed

• Question

• We're having a few clients request a PA (public address, public announcement?) system for Lync to replace a feature that came their previous PBX.  We can create groups for IM blasts, but if audio is a requirement we'll have to go third party I imagine.  I've heard word of third parties out there that do this, but am not finding much.    Does anyone know of a phone-agnostic third party you're aware of that supplies this functionality?  I'm currently assisting a client that is running with Polycom CX600 phones for Lync, so a different model is not possible. 

For future clients, if there is functionality built into a Lync phone that you're aware of, let me know.  I some rumbles of SNOM having something, but I'm not familiar with their line.

-Anthony

Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:31 PM

Answers

• Hi

The only thing i have found on this is the Snom PA1 that has a Lync compatible firmware and i have tried it with ok results. The CX600 cannot do it by default as you need the phone to answer the call automatically somehow and thats not in the product.

So i suggest you gave the PA1 a try.

Best Regards // Tommy Clarke - Please follow me @ Blog
    and Twitter
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:48 PM
  • Yes its a basic sip phone at start, but they have a firmware (that you can download if you register and request it) that makes it compatible with OCS / Lync so that you can have it registered in Lync as a Lync user and just call it from Lync and it will answer and you can make the announcement.

It is not Certified/Tested by MS to work with Lync so you won’t find it on the devices for lync page. But it works ok.

and Twitter
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:14 PM
  • It’s active so you could just plug in any old speaker that you got lying around.

Or plug in a pair of PC speakers or something.

and Twitter
    Friday, January 13, 2012 11:22 AM

All replies

• Hi

The only thing i have found on this is the Snom PA1 that has a Lync compatible firmware and i have tried it with ok results. The CX600 cannot do it by default as you need the phone to answer the call automatically somehow and thats not in the product.

So i suggest you gave the PA1 a try.

and Twitter
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:48 PM
  •  

I'll have to contact SNOM sales about that... thanks!    The sales literature says call it from a SNOM phone, but if it's Lync enabled, in your experience do you think you could call it from any Lync enabled device?

I'll leave this one open in case there are other suggestions.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:09 PM
  • Yes its a basic sip phone at start, but they have a firmware (that you can download if you register and request it) that makes it compatible with OCS / Lync so that you can have it registered in Lync as a Lync user and just call it from Lync and it will answer and you can make the announcement.

It is not Certified/Tested by MS to work with Lync so you won’t find it on the devices for lync page. But it works ok.

and Twitter
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:14 PM
  • You don't happen to have a speaker recommendation to hook up to it to do you?  I might be asking a bit much now.  :)  This looks like a reasonable solution, not as perfect as having it automatically built into Lync phone edition firmware by Microsoft, but workable.

Thanks again!

Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:18 PM
  • It’s active so you could just plug in any old speaker that you got lying around.

Or plug in a pair of PC speakers or something.

and Twitter
    Friday, January 13, 2012 11:22 AM