Problems installing Vista Dual booting with Win Xp pro SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

This is my first post on Technet.

I bought this machine which came with Vista premium pre-installed. After about a week I wiped it and installed Windows XP but I'm ready to run a dual boot system for educational purposes.

My Ideal setup would be to have Vista, Windows XP Pro running in harmony with each other on my PC.

I have a 3ghz Dual core Intel processor, 2gb ram, two hard disks - 250 and 160 GBs - PCI-E Nvidia GFX card 7900 GTO 512MB. This should be more than enough to run Vista. I'd have upgraded to 4gb Ram but my motherboard only supports a max of 2GB unfortunately.

Hard disc setup

Disk 0 - 250gb two partitions (IDE)

H:\ Windows XP directory
    (9.77Gb)

P:\ Data, programs directory (Paging file) 223Gb

Disk 1 160gb One partition (IDE)

V:\ Vista premium partition Entire drive

I've run through the Vista checks and this rig is certified to work with Vista, it had it working before for goodness sakes. That said, I go through the install and get a 'Windows cannot complete installation on this hardware' or something like that. Tried booting to safe mode and get the same thing. I've cut right back to basics and removed anything that I've installed since this machine ran Vista... same problem. The problem is the error message is so vague it doesn't give me all that much to go on.

I downloaded and burned vista Drives for all my onboard devices with the help of DriversHQ - What a wonderful little program that is! - but because i can't get far enough into the install or OS I can't install these drivers.

I've tried installing from two seperate Vista Disks but fails at the same point everytime.

Is the fact I'm trying to install Vista on Disc 1 instead of Disc 0 likely to be a problem

I am a total Vista Newbie, can anyone give me some guidance to why this setup may not work or anything else I can try?

Cheers,

R
    Saturday, July 12, 2008 11:00 PM

Answers

•  

Hi RShand, I suggest you first follow the steps below to troubleshoot the issue if Windows XP was running properly on the computer previously and hardware should not be the cause of the issue. If the BSOD issue still occurs after performing the steps, we may need to involve our CSS group to analyze the BSOD dump file to find the root cause of the issue. Thank you for your understanding.

Step 1: Use the Windows Vista DVD to repair startup

===========

1. Insert the windows Vista DVD and reboot the system.

2. Press the space bar when “Press any key to boot to CD or DVD” appears

3. When the system comes to the option to install windows, there are two links at the bottom; choose the option “Repair your computer”

4. The system will locate the Windows Vista installation and show you drive it is located on. If it is not showing, and you have a non-standard SCSI or RAID controller, you will need to load the drivers for it to show. Once it is there, highlight it and click “Next”.

5. On the menu that appears, click “Startup repair”. The window will state that it is checking for problems, and prompt you to continue when it finds one to correct.

Once it is done, it will prompt you to click finish to reboot. Remove the DVD from the drive and click Finish.

If the issue persists, please perform Step 2.

Step 2: Run System Restore in Windows Recovery Environment

=========

Note 1: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

Note 2: If the computer has another operational Operating System, we can save the collected log files to the hard drive partition to which another Operating System is accessible. Otherwise, please insert a floppy disk or connect a USB removable flash disk to the computer. We will collect the log files from another computer.

1. Please insert the Windows Vista DVD and reboot the computer.

2. When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3. Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".

4. Please highlight "Windows Vista" and click "Next".

Note: A computer may store more than one copy of Windows Vista. Please highlight the one which was just installed. The order of the items in the dialog-box is identical with the one on the boot menu.

5. In the dialog-box titled "System Recovery Options", click “System Restore”.

6. Choose a restore point and try if we can restore to that point successfully.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:28 AM
  • Hello all,

I found my answer folks. It turns out that Vista will not work on a harddisk which has been converted into a dynamic disk under XP! More details here;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927520

An excert is here;

"

Method 1: Verify that the partition is compatible with Windows Vista

You cannot install Windows Vista on a FAT32 partition. Additionally, you must correctly configure dynamic disks for use with Windows Vista. To verify that the partition is compatible with Windows Vista, follow these steps:

For a dynamic disk that has a simple volume, use the Diskpart.exe utility to configure the disk as an active disk. For more information about how to use the Diskpart.exe utility, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    300415 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415/) A description of the Diskpart.exe command-line utility

Yeah so, might be one to earmark for future because the Vista compatability wizzard didn't pickup the fact my harddisk configuration wasn't compatable with Vista which - I'd have thought - would be relatively simple. I ended up having to reinstall XP and Vista on the same disk.

Anyway, thank you all for your help.

R

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:02 AM

All replies

• Hey guys,

Anyone got any idea's? I'm really stuck on this.

Re-reading my post I thought I better add this. It does boot into the OS but before getting you anymore than the background picture it gives you that error and crashes. The same with Safe Mode.

Given it gets that far I can't imagine it being a major driver issue... but then I could be wrong. I'd have expected a driver issue giving a BSOD.

As I say I've tried two different Vista DVD's both give same results. I also managed to get a virtual machine up and running from the disc so the software etc has to be ok.

What other info can I give to help?

Thanks in advance.

R
    Monday, July 14, 2008 4:11 PM
  •  

Hi RShand, I suggest you first follow the steps below to troubleshoot the issue if Windows XP was running properly on the computer previously and hardware should not be the cause of the issue. If the BSOD issue still occurs after performing the steps, we may need to involve our CSS group to analyze the BSOD dump file to find the root cause of the issue. Thank you for your understanding.

Step 1: Use the Windows Vista DVD to repair startup

===========

1. Insert the windows Vista DVD and reboot the system.

2. Press the space bar when “Press any key to boot to CD or DVD” appears

3. When the system comes to the option to install windows, there are two links at the bottom; choose the option “Repair your computer”

4. The system will locate the Windows Vista installation and show you drive it is located on. If it is not showing, and you have a non-standard SCSI or RAID controller, you will need to load the drivers for it to show. Once it is there, highlight it and click “Next”.

5. On the menu that appears, click “Startup repair”. The window will state that it is checking for problems, and prompt you to continue when it finds one to correct.

Once it is done, it will prompt you to click finish to reboot. Remove the DVD from the drive and click Finish.

If the issue persists, please perform Step 2.

Step 2: Run System Restore in Windows Recovery Environment

=========

Note 1: Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

Note 2: If the computer has another operational Operating System, we can save the collected log files to the hard drive partition to which another Operating System is accessible. Otherwise, please insert a floppy disk or connect a USB removable flash disk to the computer. We will collect the log files from another computer.

1. Please insert the Windows Vista DVD and reboot the computer.

2. When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3. Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".

4. Please highlight "Windows Vista" and click "Next".

Note: A computer may store more than one copy of Windows Vista. Please highlight the one which was just installed. The order of the items in the dialog-box is identical with the one on the boot menu.

5. In the dialog-box titled "System Recovery Options", click “System Restore”.

6. Choose a restore point and try if we can restore to that point successfully.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:28 AM
  • Right, just got the machine back up from trying your suggestions out.

I deleted and reformatted the Vista partition on disc 1. Used Vista Boot pro to remote the boogmgr and reinstate the boot.ini from winxp to emulate a fresh start.

Did the install from the begining by booting from the disk and running through the install. Everything looked fine, machine restarted and when we started to get into Vista for the first time we got the same message "Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer hardware".

Ran through the repair setup and it said Vista detected no problems.

Then Ran through part II which also didn't work as this was the initial installation of Vista there weren't any Restore points to restore to.

There is no BSOD, there is nothing more than "Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer hardware".

I really wish the Error message gave us more to go on.

I've tried removing the GFX card, the NIC card and the multicard adapter at the front of the machine. Tired with all additional periferals other than keyboard, mouse and monitor unplugged... same vague error message.

I found a log file with something interesting in it;

Location of log file - V:\Windows\Panther\UnattendGC\setupact.log

"2008-07-15 19:40:01, Info                         [windeploy.exe] ------------------------------------------------
    2008-07-15 19:40:01, Info                         [windeploy.exe] WinDeploy.exe launched with command-line []...
    2008-07-15 19:40:01, Info                         [windeploy.exe] Setup has not completed, adding pending reboot.
    2008-07-15 19:40:04, Info                         [windeploy.exe] Found no unattend file.
    2008-07-15 19:40:04, Info                         [windeploy.exe] Found generalization state [0x4], setup.exe completion flag [False] --> launching setup.exe.
    2008-07-15 19:40:04, Info                         [windeploy.exe] Launching [C:\Windows\system32\oobe\setup.exe]...
    2008-07-15 19:40:56, Info                         [windeploy.exe] Process exited with exit code [0x1f]
    2008-07-15 19:40:56, Error                        [windeploy.exe] Setup.exe failed, returning exit code [0x1f]
    2008-07-15 19:40:56, Error                        [windeploy.exe] Failure occured during online installation.  Online installation cannot complete at this time.; hr = 0x80004005
    2008-07-15 19:40:56, Info                         [windeploy.exe] Flushing registry to disk...
    2008-07-15 19:40:56, Info                         [windeploy.exe] Flush took 172 ms.
    2008-07-15 19:40:56, Info                         [windeploy.exe] WinDeploy.exe exiting with code [0x80004005]
    2008-07-15 19:59:04, Info                         [windeploy.exe] ------------------------------------------------
    2008-07-15 19:59:04, Info                         [windeploy.exe] WinDeploy.exe launched with command-line []...
    2008-07-15 19:59:04, Info                         [windeploy.exe] Setup has not completed, adding pending reboot.
    2008-07-15 19:59:04, Info                         [windeploy.exe] Found no unattend file.
    2008-07-15 19:59:04, Error                        [windeploy.exe] Found failed generalization state Devil --> system is in an invalid state
    2008-07-15 19:59:04, Error                        [windeploy.exe] Failure occured during online installation.  Online installation cannot complete at this time.; hr = 0x8030000c"

This maybe just stating there is no unattend file on my machine which there wouldn't be with an oem DVD.

V:\windows\setupact.log another log file with info in it;

"dispci.dll:  ============BEGIN DisplayClassInstaller============
    dispci.dll:  ============BEGIN OnSelectBestCompatDrv============
    dispci.dll:  ============END OnSelectBestCompatDrv==============
    dispci.dll:  DisplayClassInstaller: Returning 0xe000020e for DIF 0x17 and device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5159&SUBSYS_016D1028&REV_00\4&1F7DBC9F&0&68F0
    dispci.dll:  ============END DisplayClassInstaller==============
    dispci.dll:  ============BEGIN DisplayClassInstaller============
    dispci.dll:  ============BEGIN OnDestroyPrivateData============
    dispci.dll:  ============END OnDestroyPrivateData==============
    dispci.dll:  DisplayClassInstaller: Returning 0xe000020e for DIF 0xc and device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5159&SUBSYS_016D1028&REV_00\4&1F7DBC9F&0&68F0
    dispci.dll:  ============BEGIN OnAllowInstall============
    dispci.dll:  ============END OnAllowInstall==============
    dispci.dll:  DisplayClassInstaller: Returning 0xe000020e for DIF 0x18 and device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5159&SUBSYS_016D1028&REV_00\4&1F7DBC9F&0&68F0
    dispci.dll:  ============BEGIN OnInstallDeviceFiles============
    dispci.dll:  ============END OnInstallDeviceFiles==============
    dispci.dll:  DisplayClassInstaller: Returning 0xe000020e for DIF 0x15 and device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5159&SUBSYS_016D1028&REV_00\4&1F7DBC9F&0&68F0
    dispci.dll:  DisplayClassInstaller: Unrecognized DIF request 0x22
    dispci.dll:  DisplayClassInstaller: Unrecognized DIF request 0x20
    dispci.dll:  ============BEGIN OnInstallDevice============
    dispci.dll:  DispCISetServiceStartType: No change to the service start required
    dispci.dll:  ============END OnInstallDevice==============
    dispci.dll:  DisplayClassInstaller: Returning 0x00000000 for DIF 0x2 and device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5159&SUBSYS_016D1028&REV_00\4&1F7DBC9F&0&68F0
    dispci.dll:  ============BEGIN OnSelectBestCompatDrv============
    dispci.dll:  ============END OnSelectBestCompatDrv==============
    dispci.dll:  DisplayClassInstaller: Returning 0xe000020e for DIF 0x17 and device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5159&SUBSYS_016D1028&REV_00\4&1F7DBC9F&0&68F0
    dispci.dll:  DisplayClassInstaller: Unrecognized DIF request 0x1e
    dispci.dll:  ============BEGIN OnDestroyPrivateData============
    dispci.dll:  ============END OnDestroyPrivateData==============
    dispci.dll:  DisplayClassInstaller: Returning 0xe000020e for DIF 0xc and device PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5159&SUBSYS_016D1028&REV_00\4&1F7DBC9F&0&68F0
    montr_ci.dll:  DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV
    montr_ci.dll:  Returning 0xe000020e for function 0x17 and device DISPLAY\DEFAULT_MONITOR\5&1427D6AE&0&12345678&09&0D.
    montr_ci.dll:  DIF_DESTROYPRIVATEDATA
    montr_ci.dll:  Returning 0xe000020e for function 0xc and device DISPLAY\DEFAULT_MONITOR\5&1427D6AE&0&12345678&09&0D.
    montr_ci.dll:  DIF_ALLOW_INSTALL
    montr_ci.dll:  Returning 0xe000020e for function 0x18 and device DISPLAY\DEFAULT_MONITOR\5&1427D6AE&0&12345678&09&0D.
    montr_ci.dll:  DIF_INSTALLDEVICEFILES
    montr_ci.dll:  Retrieving driver details....
    montr_ci.dll:  Returning 0xe000020e for function 0x15 and device DISPLAY\DEFAULT_MONITOR\5&1427D6AE&0&12345678&09&0D.
    montr_ci.dll:  DIF_REGISTER_COINSTALLERS
    montr_ci.dll:  Returning 0xe000020e for function 0x22 and device DISPLAY\DEFAULT_MONITOR\5&1427D6AE&0&12345678&09&0D.
    montr_ci.dll:  DIF_INSTALLINTERFACES
    montr_ci.dll:  Returning 0xe000020e for function 0x20 and device DISPLAY\DEFAULT_MONITOR\5&1427D6AE&0&12345678&09&0D.
    montr_ci.dll:  DIF_INSTALLDEVICE
    montr_ci.dll:  ============BEGIN OnInstallMonitorDevice============
    montr_ci.dll:  Retrieving driver details....
    montr_ci.dll:  ============END OnInstallMonitorDevice============
    montr_ci.dll:  Returning 0xe000020e for function 0x2 and device DISPLAY\DEFAULT_MONITOR\5&1427D6AE&0&12345678&09&0D.
    montr_ci.dll:  DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV
    montr_ci.dll:  Returning 0xe000020e for function 0x17 and device DISPLAY\DEFAULT_MONITOR\5&1427D6AE&0&12345678&09&0D.
    montr_ci.dll:  DIF_NEWDEVICEWIZARD_FINISHINSTALL
    montr_ci.dll:  Returning 0xe000020e for function 0x1e and device DISPLAY\DEFAULT_MONITOR\5&1427D6AE&0&12345678&09&0D.
    montr_ci.dll:  Returning 0xe000020e for function 0xc and device DISPLAY\DEFAULT_MONITOR\5&1427D6AE&0&12345678&09&0D.
    dispci.dll:  DisplayClassInstaller: Unrecognized DIF request 0x6
    montr_ci.dll:  MonitorClassInstaller: Unrecognized DIF request
    montr_ci.dll:  Returning 0xe000020e for function 0x6.
    dispci.dll:  DisplayClassInstaller: Returning 0xe000020e for DIF 0xc
    montr_ci.dll:  Returning 0xe000020e for function 0xc."

If there is any particular file which might help more than I have posted if you let me know I'll post the contents of said file.

Thank you very much for your help thus far and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Richard

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 7:40 PM
  •  

Hi Richard, as the setup issue requires log analysis, this could be not very convenient to discuss the issue in the forum. I suggest you contact with our CSS to analysis the log and narrow down the cause of the issue.

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=11732

Thank you for your understanding.

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 5:14 AM
  • Hey,

to be honest I really can't afford that kinda coin to get this working right now. I'll have another play about and might just try a straight forward wipe and reinstall... if that doesn't work God help me!

The Vista disc I am currently am using I got from Microsoft Direct Services so they should be ok. I got them after the company that build the machine went into liquidation - Iqon - and their tech support were no longer able to provide support or media to perform a restore.

Thank you so much for your help thus far. If I do phathom a solution I'll post it even if it is a "I wiped everything and started again and all was well" sorta thing.

Can anyone think of any other possibly reason why this wouldn't work or have I covered most bases with my steps above. I'm far from experienced in Vista so I'm really worries I'm missing something that would be glaringly obvious to a Vista savvy bod.

Cheers,

Richard
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:08 AM
  •  

Hi Richard, you can try this link to submit service request.

https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11274&gprid=500921

Friday, July 18, 2008 8:21 AM
  • Hello all,

I found my answer folks. It turns out that Vista will not work on a harddisk which has been converted into a dynamic disk under XP! More details here;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927520

An excert is here;

"

Method 1: Verify that the partition is compatible with Windows Vista

You cannot install Windows Vista on a FAT32 partition. Additionally, you must correctly configure dynamic disks for use with Windows Vista. To verify that the partition is compatible with Windows Vista, follow these steps:

For a dynamic disk that has a simple volume, use the Diskpart.exe utility to configure the disk as an active disk. For more information about how to use the Diskpart.exe utility, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    300415 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415/) A description of the Diskpart.exe command-line utility

Yeah so, might be one to earmark for future because the Vista compatability wizzard didn't pickup the fact my harddisk configuration wasn't compatable with Vista which - I'd have thought - would be relatively simple. I ended up having to reinstall XP and Vista on the same disk.

Anyway, thank you all for your help.

R

Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:02 AM