none
Turning on DCs after being off for extended period of time

Question

• Our current domain functional level is Windows Server 2008 R2. We have five DCs including one in the Azure cloud. After setting up two new DCs running Server 2012 R2 that were going to replace two other DCs, we had hardware issues with these servers around April 9, 2018. We are close to getting these hardware issues fixed under warranty and will be able to bring them back online.

I would like to know if powering these back on while connected to the network once they are fixed will cause any issues with the domain or objects that are replicated between these DCs and the ones that have been up and running. Anything else I should be concerned about that I'm not thinking of? Thank you.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 2:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• Should be Ok as long as they aren't tombstoned (default 60 days) My personal preference would be to do cleanup and rebuild them.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc816907(v=ws.10)#bkmk_graphical

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 2:20 PM
  • David,

Thank you for the reply. The servers had not been tombstoned yet. I brought each server up on the network one at a time to monitor for issues. There were not any issues in the admin filtered AD and DNS event logs. Deleted Objects in ADAC match other DCs. The only discrepancy was one server showed all deleted objects deleted since it was offline as being deleted today when it replicated with AD. Otherwise, both servers seem to be running without issues.

Friday, May 18, 2018 1:24 PM
  • Glad to hear they're online / working.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 18, 2018 2:19 PM